Makita Cordless Mid-Torque Impact Wrenches
Makita Launches Two 4-Speed 18V Mid-Torque Impact Wrenches
Makita has introduced two more cordless impact wrenches to the 18V stable of tools. The new additions cover the mid-range of the torque spectrum, providing the kind of fastening control that automotive, installation, and fabrication Pros will appreciate. The Makita Cordless Mid-Torque Impact Wrenches come with either a friction ring anvil or a detent anvil.
- Models: Makita XWT14Z (Friction Ring), XWT15Z (Detent)
- 1/2″ square drive
- Brushless motor
- 240 ft-lbs max torque, 430 ft-lbs nut-busting torque
- 4-speed power selection
- Speeds: 1,000-3,200 RPM and 1,800-4,000 IPM
- 3 forward and 3 reverse Auto-Stop modes
- Warranty: 3-year
- Price: $199.99 (bare tool), $399.99 (kit)
Makita Mid-Torque Power
The Makita 18V mid-torque 1/2″ impact wrenches each feature a brushless motor that delivers 240 ft-lbs of max torque. They also drive 430 ft-lbs of “nut-busting” (take-off) torque.
Power is only half of the equation with these wrenches. The other half revolves around precision. These Makita mid-torque impact wrenches feature a 4-speed power selection switch that lets you cycle between various speeds (RPM) and impacts per minute rates (IPM). The modes function like this:
- Mode 1: 0-1,000 RPM / 0-1,800 IPM
- Mode 2: 0-1,800 RPM / 0-2,600 IPM
- Mode 3: 0-2,600 RPM / 0-3,400 IPM
- Mode 4: 0-3,200 RPM / 0-4,000 IPM
Additionally, these impact wrenches feature three forward and three reverse Auto-Stop modes that help you avoid damaging materials or breaking your fasteners. The forward Auto-Stop modes let you apply more torque while keeping it within a specific range.
The reverse Auto-Stop modes give you more control when removing fasteners. It seems particularly helpful when working overhead or anywhere you might lose a nut or bolt when removing it.
In reverse Auto-Stop mode, the impact wrench senses lowering tension and will stop rotation when the nut is near the end of the bolt, even at full trigger. This helps eliminate the hassle of dropped fasteners.Aaron Israel, associate product manager, Makita U.S.A.
What We Think
We anticipate these new mid-torque impact wrenches from Makita to quickly take off. The brand really hasn’t had a mid-torque solution until now, though several lower-torque and high-torque models exist. The XWT15Z seems like a great upgrade to the XWT05Z—adding 70 ft-lbs of torque and additional functionality. Add on the new friction-ring option, and you have some serious possibilities for mechanics and others who could benefit from a great combination of power and portability.
Makita Mid-Torque Impact Wrenches
- Models: XWT14Z (friction ring), XWT15Z (detent)
- Speed: 0-1,000 / 1,800 / 2,600 / 3,200 RPM
- Impacts per minute: 0-1,800 / 2,600 / 3,400 / 4,000
- Torque (fastening): 240 ft-lbs (330 Nm)
- Torque (nut-busting): 430 ft-lbs (580 Nm)
- Weight: 4.0 lbs.
- Length: 5-5/8 in.
- Warranty: 3 years
- XWT14Z price: $199.99 (bare tool)
- XWT15Z price: $199.99 (bare tool)