Before we began testing out the latest battery-powered string trimmers for our Best Weedeater Roundup, we expected to put the existing X2 Makita XRU15 side-by-side against some of the newer models on the market. To our surprise, Makita sent us a newer model, the XRU18 string trimmer. This new flagship Makita X2 weedeater has just about everything we liked about the older XRU09, but with a distinct emphasis on power. In short, team Makita has multiple trimmers that cover run-time, Pro use, and now, high-torque power applications.
- Left/Right rotation button quickly gets you out of tangles
- Operates on X2 18V LXT platform; no need to invest in new batteries
- Can run .105 trimmer line!
- Power comes at the expense of runtime
- Back-heavy design similar to gas trimmers