Makita XBU03 18V LXT Blower: Class-Leading Weight and Power
Makita XBU03 18V LXT Blower Stakes its Claim as the Lightest, Most Powerful Blower in its Class
The big news coming out of La Miranda, California has to do with the new Makita XBU03 blower. It’s an 18V LXT member of Makita’s OPE line, making a name for itself with class-leading weight and power.
- Model: XBU03Z (bare), XBU03SM1 (1 x 4.0Ah kit)
- Part of the Makita 18V LXT system, not 18V X2
- Lightest and most powerful blower in its class (18V)
- 459 CFM
- 116 MPH
- New cruise control feature
- 6.5 pounds with 4.0Ah battery
Makita XBU03: Big Power, Light Weight
Before we start throwing numbers around, let’s look at some context first. This Makita cordless blower is in the 18V class, so it’s not competing directly with 40V, 60V, 80V and whatever other voltage you might be thinking of right now.
Sitting in the 18V LXT line rather than the 18V X2 helps Makita keep the weight down. With a 4.0Ah battery, it weighs just 6.5 pounds. For comparison, Milwaukee’s M18 Fuel blower (2724) with a 4.0Ah battery weighs about 6.6 pounds, but they actually kit it with a heavier 9.0Ah battery.
On the power side, Makita boasts 459 CFM and 116 MPH. That’s very close to Milwaukee’s 450 CFM and 120 MPH specs. But those numbers don’t actually tell the whole story on their own and there’s no simple equation to work them into one easily comparable number.
When Makita talks about having the most powerful 18V blower, they’re really talking about Newton force. It measures how much force is coming out of the blower tube. And for the Makita XBU03, they’re measuring higher Newton force than any other blower in this class.
Products from Amazon.com
- Makita XCU03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 14" Chain Saw Kit with, 4 Batteries (5.0Ah)Price: $374.99Was: $389.00
- Price: $182.09Was: $187.55
- Price: $319.95
- Cruise control (new!) – set a constant speed while still being able to use the trigger for higher performance
- In-line fan design – improves balance and ergonomics
- Pipe extender – gets the nozzle closer to the ground
- Rubberized soft grip – better comfort
- Keyhole – hangs up easier
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) – channels dust and water away to extend motor life
As an 18V blower, this blower does its best work for quick cleanup on hard surfaces. Clearing up jobsites, shop/garage floors, and getting grass clippings off of your driveway and sidewalks are all great applications. You can expect to move around dry broadleaves pretty handily, but don’t expect this to compete with the power of their 18V X2 blower or gas handhelds.
It’s worth noting that Makita is kitting this blower with a single 4.0Ah battery and standard charger. You’ll get a bit less runtime than with a 5.0Ah battery and it won’t charge as fast, but that should help keep the price a little lower. As a lightweight blower for quick cleanup, we’re good with that call.
We don’t have any pricing information yet, so keep your eyes on your favorite Makita retailer over the next few weeks.
Makita XBU03SM1 Blower Kit Includes
- 4.0Ah battery
- Standard charger
Makita 18V LXT Cordless Blower Specifications
- Model: Makita XBU03
- Power Source: Makita 18V LXT battery
- CFM: 459 CFM
- MPH: 116 MPH
- Sound Level: 63 decibels
- Weight: 6.5 pounds with 4.0Ah battery
- Length: 32-1/2″
- Warranty: 3 years
- Price: TBA
Check out what’s on sale from Makita on Amazon!