Festool RTS 400 REQ Sander Video Review
Probably most popular is what isn't changing - the price. Even with the upgrades, you're still looking at $260 for each sander.
Festool has made some rolling changes to their already outstanding 400 series finish sanders. The new Festool RTS 400 REQ and its delta pad brother (the DTS 400 REQ) now feature a more powerful motor, updated Cleantec connection system, and bumpers to avoid damage to nearby workpieces.
There are also some small ergonomic changes. The handle is slightly longer with an overmold and the variable speed dial is now on the side rather than the back.
Festool makes a change on the power switch to a model that has a longer life. I haven’t seen any complaints about the original switch, but I’ll take any upgrade Festool wants to give me.
Probably most popular is what isn’t changing – the price. Even with the upgrades, you’re still looking at $260 for each sander. That’s still not cheap, but you get Festool’s quality and system integration that’s second to none according to most in the woodworking community.
Festool RTS 400 REQ Sander Key Features
- Work effortlessly – with a compact, ergonomic design, a weight of just 1.2 kg and a perfectly balanced weight distribution
- Work faster with up to 25% more material removal capacity – the new MMC control electronics ensure that idle speed equals operating speed and transfers all 250 watts of power directly to the work surface
- Dust-free, healthier work. Less reworking – with either the dust-free mobile dust extractor or the long-life chip collection bag and attachable PROTECTOR, for smooth sanding along window surfaces, frames and panelling
- Quality and durability for your dust bag – reusable long-life chip collection bag made from extra-durable nonwoven polyester for lasting use
- Reliable extraction with the new Cleantec connecting system – the integrated bayonet fitting quickly and reliably joins the connecting sleeve of the suction hose to the extractor connector on the power tool
Festool RTS 400 REQ Sander Specifications
- Model: Festool RTS 400 REQ
- Power: 250 W
- Idle engine speed: 6,000 – 12,000 min⁻¹
- No. of strokes: 12,000 – 24,000 min⁻¹
- Sanding stroke: 2 mm
- Interchangeable sanding pad: 80 x 130 mm
- Dust extraction connection diameter: 27 mm
- Sandpaper type: 40 to 400 grit
- Weight: 1.2 kg
- Warranty: 3 years limited
- Price: $260