Worx Cordless Oscillating Tool Review – WX682L
We’re looking more closely at all 26 models of corded and cordless multi-tools involved in the shootout from a few months ago. To read more about how that all went down, and the full results, check out our Oscillating Multitool Shootout. But back to the matter at hand: today, we’re looking at our overall 23rd place finisher, the 20V Worx cordless oscillating tool.
- Excellent price for a cordless model
- Ergonomic form factor
- Heavy vibration
- Slow cutting performance
- Tool required for blade changes
While there are a couple of highlights, the Worx cordless oscillating tool is definitely a DIY product.
Before you can make your first cut, you need to install a blade. Some manufacturers have come up with some pretty sophisticated tool-free systems for swapping out and mounting new blades and accessories. Unfortunately, Worx doesn’t fall into this camp. You’ll need a hex wrench to loosen the bolt enough to change out your blades.
From an ergonomic design standpoint, Worx does a good job with both their models, but particularly with this 20V Max model. Even with the battery attached, the Worx cordless oscillating tool weighs in at 2.65 lbs. This is super light, especially for a cordless tool.
Additionally, Worx does a pretty good job with the handle design. The barrel grip has a narrow form factor, as well as some rubber overmolding. Between its lighter weight and comfortable handle, it feels pretty good in your hand.
The Worx cordless oscillating tool runs off a 20V Max battery from the brand’s PowerShare platform. Coupled with a 3.2° angle of oscillation and variable speeds between 5,000-18,000 OPM, this multi-tool can turn out perfectly adequate cutting performance… which is my nice way of saying that it’s not a particularly quick cutting tool.
Ultimately, it had the second slowest cut time from the cordless tools we tested. This is not to say that the Worx cordless oscillating tool won’t get the job done; it will. It just might test your patience a little bit.
The Worx cordless oscillating tool really doesn’t have much in the vibration control department. This thing rattles around way too much for any of our testing team’s comfort. This might not be as big of a deal if you’re using the tool very occasionally, but there’s a clear gap between this and the Pro models.
Somewhat surprisingly, the Worx cordless oscillating tool doesn’t generate as much noise as we expected given its lack of vibration control. Usually, the two categories correlate more closely. At 100 dB(A), this tool runs far from quiet, but we expected a sound measurement closer to the top end. At any rate, you’ll still want to wear some hearing protection when running this tool for any length of time.
Here’s where all those tradeoffs we’ve made with blade changes, vibrations, and noise finally pay off. The Worx cordless oscillating tool retails for $99.99 with a 20V Max PowerShare battery, charger, and some accessories. It also comes with a 3-year limited warranty. Obviously, there are aspects to this tool that are less than flattering, but at less than $100, it’s still a good deal for DIYers that want to cut the cord and don’t have the budget to go for a Pro-level model.
The Bottom Line
The Worx 20V oscillating tool is highlighted by its price, weight, and form factor. However, it’s performance and feature set put it squarely in the DIY category.
Worx Cordless Oscillating Tool Kit Key Features
- Includes oscillating tool, PowerShare 20 Volt battery, case, and 9 accessories for cutting, sawing, scraping, and sanding
- 20-volts coupled with 3.2° oscillating motion delivers faster speed-of-cut
- Variable speed (5,000-18,000-OPM) and multi-angle adjustments offer maximum control over a variety of applications
- Integrated work light illuminates work surface for accurate cutting
- Universal interface allows you to use oscillating accessories from a variety of brands for your convenience
- Ideal for cutting, sawing, scraping, sanding, and more
Worx Cordless Oscillating Tool Specifications
- Model: Worx WX682L
- Power Source: 20V Max
- Oscillations: 5,000-18,000 OPM
- Oscillation Angle: 3.2 degrees
- Weight: 2.9 lbs.
- Length: 12.2″
- Warranty: 3 years limited
- Price: $94.99
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $94.99Was: $99.99
- Price: $53.39Was: $59.99
- WORX WG644 40V (2.0Ah) Power Share Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner, 2 Batteries and Charger IncludedPrice: $215.60Was: $229.99
- WORX WG629 Cordless Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner, 20V Power Share Platform with Charger IncludedPrice: $104.07Was: $119.00