Makita XDT12 18V LXT Impact Driver Video Review
At the end of the day, the Makita XDT12M 18V LXT Impact Driver is the same as the 09 model with the addition of Assist Mode, a 4th standard control mode, and an LED light control. In fact, this is a rolling change for Makita as the XDT09 is being discontinued.
Get Yours Online
When Makita rolled out the XDT09 impact driver, we got to know QuickShift (now called T-Mode) mode that offered a combination of fast starts and controlled finishes in metal fastening applications. Now the Makita XDT12 takes its place in a rolling change with the only major difference being the addition of Assist Mode (A-mode). This one starts slow and picks up speed to offer a controlled start and fast finish in wood applications. With both modes – plus four standard modes – it’s a great choice for Pros that fasten in both metal and wood.
Like we expect from Makita, the entire tool is wrapped around a lightweight, compact, and ergonomically excellent design.
From a performance standpoint, the Makita XDT12 impact driver bests the 18V class with 3600 RPM top speed and comes close to the top with a 3800 IPM impact rate (Hitachi has a slightly higher impact rate in their latest impact driver). Torque is a solid 1550 inch pounds and will tackle the majority of driving needs until you start working with fasteners larger than 1/4-inch lag bolts or so.
At the end of the day, perhaps the only other 18V impact driver that can compete in terms of control is Milwaukee’s One-Key model, but it falls short of Makita’s compact, ergonomic design.
PTR’s Makita XDT12 18V LXT Impact Driver Top 5 Features At A Glance
- T-mode starts fast and slows near the end of the drive to prevent damage to fasteners and bits when working in metal applications
- A-mode starts slow and accelerates to give you a controlled start in wood applications
- 4 standard impact driver modes give you more control options than single speed or 3-speed models
- Lightweight, compact, and ergonomic design is among the best in the 18V impact driver class for jobs that last all day
- Best in class speed and near top impact rate combine with 1550 inch pounds of torque for very fast screw driving
Makita XDT12 18V LXT Impact Driver Specifications
- Mode: Makita XDT12Z (bare), Makita XDT12T (kit)
- Battery: 18V LXT Lithium-Ion, 5.0 Ah
- Hex Shank: 1/4″
- No Load Speed: 0 – 1,100 / 0 – 2,100 / 0 – 3,200 / 0 – 3,600 RPM
- Variable Speed: Yes
- Impacts Per Minute: 0 – 1,100 / 0 – 2,600 / 0 – 3,600 / 0 – 3,800 IPM
- Maximum Torque: 1,550 in-lbs / 175N•m
- Overall Length: 4-5/8″
- Weight (with battery) : 3.3 lbs
- Includes: (2) 18V LXTBattery, Rapid Optimum Charger, Tool Case
- Warranty: 3 years
- Price: $349.99 (kit), $186.99 (bare)