As we move from screwdriving to socket fasteners in the construction industry, we typically turn to impact wrenches. While there are some that put out roughly the same torque as an impact driver, a good mid-torque impact wrench in the 300 – 500 foot-pound range will get most of our work done. Moving up to commercial and industrial construction, high-torque takes over. Models like the Matco 20V Max High-Torque Impact Wrench generate much greater rotational forces.
So what does Matco have going on? And where does this tool truck impact wrench fit amongst the big names in construction?
Those are the questions I’m looking to answer with a little help from Tim Johnson at Shop Tool Reviews.
- Screened Motor Vents: One of the few standout features on this model is the screened motor venting. Most impact drivers and wrenches don’t have it. With small shards of metal flying around, this is a nice protection for the motor.
- Optional Side Handle: Side handles aren’t the norm for impact drivers and wrenches until you get up to the 1″ range or so. I’m not opposed to a side handle on this size, though. While I’m not terribly worried about bind up injuries, having the extra stability with the weight of the tool is appealing.
- Variable Speed Trigger
- LED Work Light
- Battery Level Indicator
- Brushless Motor: You’d think every high-torque impact wrench on the cordless side needs a brushless motor. Matco goes with a 4-pole brushed motor this time.
What really stands out for the Matco 20V Max High-Torque Impact Wrench is its 1300 foot-pounds of breakaway torque. That up with the biggest numbers in this class and they’re doing it with a brushed motor. That’s a pretty positive sign.
However, that’s offset by a $700 price tag and pretty high weight that exceeds 8 pounds. As both the most expensive and heaviest in Tim’s testing, it seems there’s plenty of room for improvement in the value and ergonomics categories.
That’s where we turn to the Shop Tool Reviews team since they’ve had the chance to put this impact to use against the competition. Take a look at what they think in their standalone review…
…or see how the Matco 20V Max High-Torque Impact Wrench did against the competition in Shop Tool Reviews’ shootout!
Matco 20V Max High-Torque Impact Wrench Key Features
- 4-pole brushed motor
- Variable speed trigger
- Trigger activated dual LED light
- Balanced housing design with positive touch TPR handle
- Stainless steel screened motor vents
- Forward / reverse trigger lock
- Optional side handle
- Battery fuel gauge indicator
- Universal charger (10.8V-20V) with USB port capable of charging a 4.0Ah battery in less than 60 minutes
Matco 20V Max High-Torque Impact Wrench Review Specifications
- Model Number: MCL2012HPIWK
- Anvil: 1/2”
- IPM (Impacts Per Minute): No Manufacturer Data
- Max Tightening Torque: No Manufacturer Data
- Max Loosening Torque: 1,300 ft-lbs.
- Battery: 20V 4.0 Ah
- Weight: 8.02 lbs.
- Speeds: 1
- Warranty: 18 months materials & workmanship
- MSRP: ~$700