Tormek T-8 Wet Grinder Sharpening System
Recognized for its unique sharpening approach, Tormek is releasing another edition of their wet stone sharpening system. The Tormek T-8 Wet Grinder Sharpening System will be available in select woodworking locations and online retailers in June 2016. The Tormek T-8 is rated for continuous use, and is designed to fit their vast range of specialty jigs available to quickly and easily sharpen virtually any tool in your house, or workshop.
Similar to other Tormek sharpening tools, like the Tormerk T-4 sharpener Tim Mitchell reviewed, the heart of the tool is the grinding wheel turning at a slow RPM through water. The water acts as a lubricant for faster grinding while it continuously cools the tool edge to prevent damage that comes from heating the steel to a point that chemical change occurs. The Tormek T-8 offers an SG-250 10″ x 2″ grinding wheel that turns at 90 RPM. To finish the sharpening process, the 8-34″ x 1-1/4″ genuine leather honing wheel will gently remove the burr and hones the edge to get razor sharpness.
“Tormek has worked hard on its next generation sharpening system to develop a product that gives an enhanced sharpening experience and control over the final result. With an updated design and all the upgraded details, the T-8 makes sharpening easy and efficient.”
– Todd Gluski, Marketing Brand Manager of Tormek’s North American distributor, Affinity Tool Works
The major improvements start with the Universal Support. The previously mounted sleeves are now fully integrated, reducing the amount of play experienced and improving control. A screw lift on the water trough makes the fit better while a magnetic scraper makes cleaning more efficient. The SE-77 jig for square edge tools has been upgraded with a movable side that allows for a fine adjustment to the setting, which ensures a 90 degree corner or the possibility to create a cambered shape.
Tormek T-8 Wet Grinder Sharpening System Key Features
- Designed for sharpening hand tools, knives, scissors, wood-turning and woodcarving tools
- Universal Support control system
- Constant wheel speed, even under full load
- Advanced Water Trough fits easier than previous generations
- Tormek Original Grindstoneis rated for all qualities of steel, including High Speed Steel (HSS)
- SE-77 jig for square edge tools now has a movable side
- Includes Grindstone, leather honing wheel, square edge jig, truing and dressing tool, stone grader, AngleMaster, honing compound, handbook, instructional DVD
Tormek T-8 Wet Grinder Sharpening System Specifications
- Model: T-8
- Motor: 115V/230V
- Duty Cycle: 100%, 25,000 hour life
- Weight: 32.6 pounds
- Warranty: 7-Year when registered
- Price (MSRP): $729