Milwaukee Controlled Torque Impact Wrench – No More Torque Sticks
We previewed some new technology a couple of years ago at a Milwaukee Tool media event. Now, the tool we looked at has released. The Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2″ Ext. Anvil Controlled Torque Impact Wrench w/One-Key promises up to 1,100 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque. But that’s not the big deal. It also promises controlled torque output for fastening. The new Milwaukee controlled torque impact wrench lets mechanics perform faster tire service without needing either pneumatic hoses, compressors, or torque sticks. The tool includes four customizable modes to prevent overtightening. It does this by varying the torque output within ranges to address the needs of sedans, light trucks, and box trucks.
Milwaukee Controlled Torque Impact Wrench Features
The new Milwaukee 2769-22 impact wrench includes a RedLithium XC5.0 battery. One-Key lets users customize tool settings as well as track and manage the tool. Milwaukee gives users four customizable Drive Control modes with full power reverse. That full power delivers up to 1,100 ft-lbs of “nut-busting” torque. Milwaukee Tool also sets helpful mode defaults:
- Mode 1 – Designed for cars, delivering a target torque range of 40-75 ft-lbs.
- Mode 2 – For trucks and SUVs, delivering a target torque range of 75 – 150 ft-lbs.
- Mode 3 – Handles larger equipment like box trucks and trailers, delivering a target torque range up to 450 ft-lbs.
- Mode 4 – Full power
Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/2-in Ext. Anvil Controlled Torque Impact Wrench Specifications
- Model: 2769-22
- RPM: 0-1,800
- IPM: 0-2,400
- Torque (fastening): Up to 750 ft-lbs
- Torque (reverse): Up to 1,100 ft-lbs
- Length: 10.1 in.
- Weight (w/battery): 7.4 lbs
- Anvil: 1/2 in. Extended Square w/friction ring
- One-Key enabled
- Warranty: 3-years
- Includes: M18 Fuel 1/2-in Ext. Anvil Controlled Torque Impact Wrench w/One Key (2769-20), (2) M18 RedLithium XC5.0 batteries, M18/M12 multi-voltage charger, and tool bag
- Price: $549 (kit); $349 (bare tool)
- Launch date: October 2019
What We Think
This tool takes what was possible with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel High-Torque impact wrench and adds better torque range control. Our friend, Tim Johnson over at Shop Tool Reviews has already done a video on what to expect with this new tool. As it turns out, torque sticks may not be as accurate as we think. His results have us even more impressed at this controlled torque impact wrench from Milwaukee Tool. The tool comes out in October 2019 and the price will be $549 for the kit with two 5 Ah batteries and charger or $349 for the bare tool.