Klein Tools Electrician’s Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool
The Klein Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool that I have today is the second tool of Klein’s new hybrid offerings. I’ve already had the opportunity to review the first in the series, the Hybrid Pliers with Crimper, and – spoiler alert! – I found them to be excellent. Well, these new hybrid pliers, which feature the seven most common electrician’s tools in a Leatherman-style design, include a lot of the same things that made Klein’s first offering great as well. It even received a coveted 2018 Pro Tool Innovation Award. Here’s how it works.
- Excellent supplemental tool
- Good selection of tools
- Each tool functions well
- Good value
- Won’t replace primary tools (we don’t expect any multi-tool to do that!)
- Knurling could be more aggressive on the pliers
Like most multi-tools, keep your expectations in check. This is an excellent supplementary tool for any Pro working around the electrical trade.
Klein Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool Feature Set
- Includes: hybrid pliers, wire cutter, wire stripper, pocket knife, No. 2 Phillips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, metal splinter remover
- Features a wide, knurled plier head
- Strips 10-14 AWG solid and 12-16 AWG stranded wire
- 3-inch drop point knife blade is accessible without opening the tool
- Both the slotted driver and No. 2 Phillips driver tuck in the handle
- Liner lock keeps knife blade securely in the open position
- Metal splinter remover stores in the durable aluminum handle
- Seven most used functions in one compact everyday-carry multi-tool
“Save a trip to the tool bag!” That’s how Klein describes the Klein Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool’s role in your collection. When your regular tools aren’t close at hand, this hybrid can get the job done. In that role, this tool is excellent! The wire strippers, cutting knives, screwdrivers, and pocket knife work quite well. The pliers are beefy and wide for this kind of tool and don’t expect the knurling to be especially aggressive. Still, the handle length and plier size afford you a solid grip. I didn’t get to use the man-tweezers, but it’s not a bad addition.
Put it in your pocket or pouch and forget about lugging your whole bag or box around with you. In a pinch, the Klein Tools Electrician’s Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool will probably be able to bail you out. That’s how I used them. This is also a great gift for the Pro electrician in your life. It might even be a great introduction to Klein Tools for the homeowner.
Price & Value
The Klein Tools Electrician’s Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool will set you back just about $40. For all it can do, and for its potential to save you having to walk back and forth for a tool, I don’t think that’s an unreasonable price. Klein has a couple of competitors in the multi-tool arena, namely the Southwire MT001 and the Gerber Groundbreaker. But Southwire’s option punches in around $60 and the Groundbreaker will run you $130 and up.
These competitors do offer a few more tools. But in my mind, the Klein strikes the right balance of price and functionality. The thing is, while a tool like this is helpful, it’s not going to replace a Pro’s primary tools. I feel that if I’m going to drop over $40 on a hand tool, it will likely be a primary tool for me. Of course, your job situation and workflow might cause you to think differently.
The Bottom Line
You can rely on the Klein Tools Electrician’s Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool when you don’t have your regular tools on hand. It’s a solid supplement to your collection at a great price.
Klein Tools Electrician’s Hybrid Plier Multi-Tool Specifications
- Item Number: 44216
- Application: Cutting, Twisting, Stripping, Tweezing, Driving
- Special Features: 7 Tools in One
- Included: Hybrid Pliers, Wire Cutter, Wire Strippers, Pocket Knife, No. 2 Phillips Screwdriver, Slotted Screwdriver, Metal Splinter Remover
- Lock Style: Liner Lock
- Blade Type: Drop Point
- Blade Length: 3 inches
- Material: Stainless Steel and Aluminum
- Blade Material: 440A Stainless Steel
- Blade Thickness: 0.1 inches
- Handle Type: Folding
- Handle Material: Aluminum
- Length Closed: 4.5 inches
- Sharpenable: Yes
- Length: 7.3 inches
- Height: 0.9 inches
- Width: 2.25 inches
- Weight: 12.1 ounces
- Price: $39.99