Cub Cadet Electric Riding Mower | Battery-powered Model LT42 e
Cub Cadet Electric Riding Mower LT42 e Powers Up Lawn Care
The Cub Cadet Electric Riding Mower (model LT42 e) presents a battery-powered electric option for owners who want a Cub Cadet-quality cut while still keeping things green.
- Part of the XT Enduro Series of mowers
- 3,000 watt-hour, 56V engine
- 1.5-hour/2-acre cut time on a charge
- Rapid-recharge takes only 4 hours to get to full charge
- 42″ twin-blade cutting
- QuickAttach system
- High-back seats with armrests and cruise control
- Price: $3999
What Cub Cadet Has to Say About the LT42 e
“The Cub Cadet LT42 e combines the newest in battery technology with the high-level performance Cub Cadet is known for. From superior cut quality in a powerfully quiet package to the low-maintenance upkeep, it’s innovation without compromise in a way that will change how you mow.”
—Trevor Oriold, business segment director, Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Electric Riding Mower LT42 e Features
Having reviewed the Cub Cadet Pro Z 972 SD zero-turn and SC 900 walk behind mower, we quickly learned Cub Cadet knows its mowing products. The move to electric power can only make sense for the brand since so many municipalities are beginning to steer companies and consumers in that direction. The Cub Cadet LT42 e is built on the popular XT Enduro Series design architecture.
Given that, you can expect the kind of quiet and convenient operation that comes with battery power, except without any power fade.
The Cub Cadet LT42 e uses twin-blades for its 42″ cutting width. Those blades sit under a 13-gauge stamped steel deck. The QuickAttach system allows for a variety of attachments. The new battery-powered Cub Cadet lawn mower also tackles both mulching and bagging.
Maintenance on the Battery-powered Cub Cadet Lawn Mower
Maintenance on the Cub Cadet LT42 e is minimal. You won’t need to deal with the hassles surrounding gas, oil, a clutch, belts, or throttle. Obviously, fumes and unburned hydrocarbons are also a non-issue.
Recharging takes just 4 hours to get you back up to full, though the flexible recharge hits 25% in an hour. You want to match the capacity of battery-powered lawnmowers to the task. With that mindset, charge time takes a less prominent role in the decision process. If you only charge it when you’re done mowing—what’s it matter? For commercial users, charge time gains in importance.
Comfort and Run-time
We expect this mower to provide a decent level of comfort for a consumer model. When you mow less than 3 hours a day, you don’t need as much money in the seat. Still, Cub Cadet gave the LT42 e a high-back seat with armrests. They also added cruise control for ease of operation.
When we talk run-time on battery-powered or electric mowers, we talk about how much area it can cut. In the case of the Cub Cadet battery-powered LT42 e, you can mow for up to 1.5 hours. That translates into roughly 2 acres worth of cutting. All this is thanks to the 56V engine and power plant that packs 3,000 watt-hours into the batteries.
Pricing and Initial Thoughts
The Cub Cadet LT42 e runs $3999. It comes with a 3-year limited residential warranty, a 4-year limited battery warranty, and a 5-year unlimited-hour chassis and front axle warranty. For the price, this mower competes very well in the market.
For early-adoption consumers looking to mow less than a couple of acres, paying $3999 for a green solution could make a lot of sense. Factor in the cost of gas, and it only gets better over time.
You can find the new mower on the Cub Cadet website, at Home Depot, Tractor Supply Co., or select Cub Cadet dealerships across the US.
Cub Cadet Electric Riding Mower LT42e Specs
Engine & Drive System
- Battery: 56V 60Ah 3000 Wh
- Transmission: Electric, foot-controlled, cast aluminum housing
- Speed (for/rev): 5.5 mph / 3.1 mph
- Rear-axle: 3/4 in. w/dual PM steel drive hubs
Cutting Deck & Chassis
- Deck width: 42 in.
- Cutting modes: Side discharge/mulch/bagging
- Deck: 13-ga stamped steel w/QuickAttach (no tools required)
- Deck engagement (PTO): Push-button electric
- Blade(s): Twin blade
- Deck Lift: Manual/12-position/spring-assisted
- Cutting height: 1 – 4 in.
- 4x anti-scalping deck wheels
- Robotically-welded frame with new e-coating corrosion defense system
- Front axle(s): Heavy-duty 3/4″ through machined bushings
- Front caster: Heavy-duty cast-iron (5-year limited warranty/unlimited hours)
- Turning radius: 16″
- Front Tires: 15″ x 6″ sleeve bearing
- Rear Tires: 20″ x 8″
- Push-button cruise control
- Optimized steering system, manual sector and pinion
- Steering wheel w/ quick-adjust tilt column
- LED headlights
- Seat: Cub Comfort high-back seat with 10º incline and slide
- Arm Rests
- Optional mulch kit
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 68 x 50 x 42.5 in.
- Weight: 410 lbs.
- Warranty (mower/battery/chassis & front axel): 3-year unlimited hours (includes powertrain)/4-year/5-year unlimited hours
- Price: $3,999