Metabo 9-Inch Cordless Angle Grinder
The recently introduced Metabo 9-inch cordless angle grinder is the largest tool of its kind. It’s made possible by the combination of the company’s new 36V brushless motor and new Lithium High Density (LiHD) battery technology which contains more Lithium than standard cells housed in a redesigned pack.
A Cordless 9-inch Grinder?
Comparable in size and weight to a professional 9-inch corded grinder, this cordless version features an integrated swivel handle, electronic safety brake system, a patented electronic safety clutch, electronic overload protection, soft start, a non-locking paddle switch, and Metabo’s Ultra-M battery technology.
“During an International Management Meeting back in November of 2009, our CEO, Horst Garbrecht stated ‘We don’t know what the first 9-inch cordless angle grinder will look like or how it will work, but we definitely want to be the first to build it.’ Cutting and grinding metal is our core business, it’s our heritage. We were the first to introduce the safety slip clutch, and the mechanical brake, it only makes sense that we lead the industry in developing the first true cordless industrial grinders also.”Joseph Smith, Metabo USA President
The Bottom Line
There’s no doubt the big talking point is the power of this grinder. To reach a 9-inch diameter you have to have it. With companies doing their best to compare to the power of corded, Metabo claims a monstrous 21-amp corded equivalent with this model – on one 36V battery. If there’s any remaining doubt that LiHD is simply on another level than most battery platforms, this should kill it. Keep in mind, the closest competitor is DeWalt’s FlexVolt Grinder running on a 60V Max platform.
Beyond the power is the physical design. Many users have a love hate relationship with grinder handles because they’re just so cumbersome compared to the ergonomics found on other tools like drills and impact drivers. Metabo took the wide diameter handle and cut the middle out. This should give a really solid grip when dealing with the force it’s able to produce.
Wrapping it up, you have all the standard features of a really well-designed grinder plus a brake and rotating handle as a bonus.
Metabo 9-inch Cordless Angle Grinder Features
- World’s largest-diameter cordless angle grinder
- Cutting depth of 3-inches
- Metabo brushless motor
- Deadman’s switch
- Fast brake system
- Tool-free adjustable guard
- Rotating main handle
- Metabo VibraTech (MVT) side handle for vibration damping
- Side handle can be mounted in three positions
- Electronic safety shutdown
- Overload protection, soft start and restart protection
- Ultra-M technology
- Battery packs with capacity display
- 3-year warranty on battery packs
- Model: Metabo WPB 36 LTX BL 230
- Type of battery pack: LiHD
- Battery: 6.2Ah
- Battery pack voltage: 36V
- Grinding wheel diameter: 9-inches
- No-load speed: 6600 /min
- Spindle thread: M 14
- Vibration Surface grinding: 8.2 m/s²
- Vibration Grinding with sandpaper: 3 m/s²
- Sound pressure level: 88 dB(A)
- Sound power level (LwA): 99 dB(A)
- Uncertainty of measurement K: 3 dB(A)
- Weight (including battery pack): 6.1 kg / 13.4 lbs
- Price: $1,099