Greenlee and FSG Partner to Help Solve 500,000 Electrician Shortage
Greenlee and FSG Work Together to Provide Free Training for Future Electricians
The shortage of electrical workers in the United States is well-known. Currently standing at a gap of 500,000, Greenlee is partnering with FSG to work GreenApple Labs into its free training program.
As of right now, FSG has 200 students enrolled in their training program. As an electrical contractor, FSG does the classroom work and also moves into on the job training. Their apprentice program has a total of four levels and they offer it at 9 locations around the country.
“GreenApple Labs is a natural fit with our program. The partnership brings a professional classroom setting into an FSG training site, giving the apprentice the ability to learn how to use a tool in the classroom and then apply the technique to their on-the-job learning opportunity.”
— Cory Bruner, director of risk management for FSG
Interested in starting an electrical career around Austin, Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio, Chicago, Indianapolis, Southern California, or New York? Take a look at FSG’s career training page.
Greenlee GreenApple Labs
If you’re not familiar with Greenlee’s GreenApple Labs, it’s a program to help students learn to use the same equipment they’ll use on the job. It helps them be a step or three ahead when they hit the jobsite and put together a more attractive resume` that can help them land a more competitive apprenticeship.
It’s a hands-on program developed by Greenlee to teach standardized skills:
- Cutting and Termination
- Fishing and Pulling
- Test and Measurement
- Wire Pathways
In partnership with the National Coalition of Certification Centers, students that complete the program receive a certificate indicating they have met IBC requirements. If you’d like to learn more about the GreenApple Labs program, click here.
Even if you’re not in areas that FSG serves, there are more than 20 schools that are also partnered with Greenlee on the GreenApple Labs curriculum.
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology Elizabethton, TN
- Gateway Technical College* Kenosha, WI
- Montana State University in Bozeman, Bozeman, MT
- North Dakota State College of Science, Wahpeton, ND
- Caverna High School, Horse Cave, KY
- Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, WI
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College – Saint Cloud, MN
- Georgia Northwest Technical College – Dalton, GA
- Caddo Career and Technical Center – Shreveport, LA
- South San Antonio High School – San Antonio, TX
- Cuyahoga Community College – Cleveland, OH
- North Georgia Technical College – Clarkesville, GA
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College – Wesson, MS
- Lakeshore Technical College – Cleveland, WI
- Lanier Technical College – Oakwood, GA
- Southside High School – San Antonio, TX
- Hawaii Electricians Training Fund 1186, Honolulu, HI
- Daley College: City Colleges of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Sevier County High School – Sevierville, TN
- Northwest Kansas Technical College, Goodland, KS
- Webster Parish High School – Minden, LA
It’s encouraging to see companies like Emerson partnering with contractors to provide training outside the classroom. One of the things our future tradesmen and women have to weigh is if they should take on the cost of trade school or try to find on the job training. With a partnership like the one Greenlee and FSG have, it makes that choice simpler and offers a more direct path to a fulfilling career.