Earth ground testing – for many contractors, it’s a necessary evil to be endured. However, to the professionals that provide the testing services, the physics of soil resistivity makes all the difference in the quality of the ground of a building, mine, or power line. The ground itself can be installed perfectly, but place the ground rod in earth with too much impedance and the risk of property damage or personal injury increases. The fluke Geo earth ground tester takes care of all this for you.
The Fluke 1623-2 and 1625-2 Earth Ground Testers can perform all four types of ground testing: Three and Four Pole Fall of Potential (using stakes), Four Pole Soil Resistivity (using stakes), Selective testing (using 1 clamp and stakes), and Stakeless testing (using 2 clamps). Purchasing either unit as a kit will include all of the accessories needed to perform all four of the test methods. The housing design has earned the units an IP56 rating for outdoor use. Up to 1500 measurements can be stored in memory and transferred via USB cord. Fluke backs their Earth Ground Testers with a 2 year warranty.
In addition to the above features, the fluke geo earth ground tester 1625-2 also includes Automatic Frequency Control that identifies sources of interference and adjusts to a frequency that minimizes that interference. Users can also adjust the limits so measurements can be taken more quickly. R* measurement capability calculates earth ground impedance at 55 hertz to more accurately measure resistance.
Fluke Geo Earth Ground Tester Specifications
- Memory Storage: Up to 1500 measurements
- Power Source: Six 1.5 V batteries, included (AA or LR6 for the 1623-2, AA, LR6, or IEC for the 1625-2)
- Average Measurement Time: 6 seconds (1623-2), 8 seconds (1625-2)
- Durability Rating: IP56 (IP40 for the battery door)
- Measurement Methods: 3- or 4-Pole Fall of Potential, 4-Pole Soil Resistivity, Selective Testing, Stakeless Testing
- Kit includes: Earth Ground Tester, USB cord, 6 AA batteries, test leads, 4 earth ground stakes, 3 cable reels with wire, 2 clamps, carrying case, and manual.
- Warranty: 2 years
- Current Pricing (online): 1623-2 – $1600 basic/$2600 kit, 1625-2 – $2600 basic/$3500 kit
Field Service Techs and Industrial Techs will find the 1623 meets their needs, while the advanced features of the 1625 are appropriate for some Industrial Techs as well as Utility and Telecom Techs. For more information (including tech specs that require a Physics degree to comprehend), visit the Fluke website.