Porter-Cable Recall Affects Over 100,000 Router Owners
Even with all of the product testing that goes on prior to a tool’s release, there are occasionally issues that come up later on requiring a recall. The latest is a Porter-Cable recall on about 107,000 production level routers.
The products in question include four 3-1/4 horsepower fixed based production routers and one production router base. The model numbers being recalled are 7518, 7519, 7519EC, and 22-7519-60. The router base in question was sold separately and has the model number 75361. This recall affects only models manufactured from 1990 through April of this year. The Porter-Cable name and logo are on the front of the routers. The model numbers and manufacturing dates can be found on the plate at the back of each unit.
The reason for the recall is a lack of insulation in the router base handles. This potentially could lead to a shock hazard, though I have not read any discussion of serious injury as a result of this specific issue. There were about 100,000 of these units sold in the United States ans an additional 7,800 in Canada. Porter-Cable will send you a replacement router base free of charge once you have completed the claim process with them.
For more information on this Porter-Cable recall, including if you own one of the units, you are encouraged to contact Porter-Cable directly. They can be reached by phone at 888-344-7973 or email at [email protected]. You can also visit Porter-Cable’s website and view the recall information by clicking here.
Porter-Cable Recall Summary
- Porter-Cable Speedmatic 3-1/4 HP Five Speed Router, model 7518
- Porter-Cable Speedmatic 3-1/4 HP Router, model 7519
- Porter-Cable Speedmatic 3-1/4 HP Router with Extended Chuck, model 7519EC
- Porter-Cable Speedmatic High Voltage 3-1/4 HP Router, model 22-7519-60
- Porter-Cable Router Base, model 75631
Manufacturing dates affected
- 1990 – April 2014
- Shock hazard from lack of insulation on the handles
- Porter-Cable replacement router base (contact Porter-Cable for instructions)