Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Rotary Makes Accessory Changes A Tool-Free Snap
Rotary tools are super-helpful for a variety of chores and projects, but many of them require a power cord and an outlet. Ryobi is jumping headfirst into the rotary tool class and they’ve looking to upend the traditional powerhouse. We brought in the Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Rotary Tool to see where it fits as they build out a complete lineup.
Using The Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Rotary Tool
One of the big deals about Ryobi’s PBLRT01 is that it has a brushless motor. That’s going to give you more runtime, a boost in performance, and longer life than a brushed motor doing the same job.
The variable speed dial adjusts from 5,000 to 25,000 RPMs in 5,000 RPM increments. This lets you set an appropriate speed for the material or accessory you’re working with, or gain more control on those precision projects. It’s also compatible with Ryobi’s foot control pedal if you want variable speed control while keeping both hands free.
Tool-Free Accessory Changes
The Ryobi brushless rotary tool features a Quick-Change 1/8-inch collet that makes switching between accessories a breeze. The best part? No wrench required! Press down the spindle lock detent and twist the collet counterclockwise, insert the bit, and turn back clockwise until you hear the collet stop clicking.
It is possible to overdo it, though. If you find the collet isn’t opening back up, turn it to the unlock position, unscrew it from the top, and insert a bit from the bottom up. That’s the easiest way we’ve found to open it back up.
Just in case your fingers aren’t as strong as they used to be, there’s also a wrench to help you out.
The Ryobi brushless rotary tool collet accepts most standard rotary tool accessories and it comes with a 40-piece set to give you a head start. Here’s what’s in the box:
- 3/8-inch aluminum oxide grinding stone: 1 pc.
- 3/16-inch silicon carbide grinding stone: 1 pc.
- 1/2-inch felt polishing wheel: 2 pc.
- 1-inch felt polishing wheel: 2 pc.
- 3/4-inch carbon steel brush: 1 pc.
- Polishing paste: 1 pc.
- Tapered screw mandrel: 1 pc.
- 1/4-inch sanding mandrel: 1 pc.
- 1/2-inch sanding mandrel: 1 pc.
- Twist lock mandrel: 1 pc.
- 1 1/2-inch twist lock cut-off wheel: 5 pc.
- 1/8-inch drill bit: 1 pc.
- 1/8-inch round high-speed cutter: 1 pc.
- 1/16-inch round engraver: 1 pc.
- Grooved rectangle shaping bit: 1 pc.
- Diamond wheel point carving bit: 1 pc.
- 1/4-inch 60-grit sanding band: 3 pc.
- 1/4-inch 120-grit sanding band: 3 pc.
- 1/2-inch 60-grit sanding band: 4 pc.
- 1/2-inch 120-grit sanding band: 4 pc.
- 1/2-inch 240-grit sanding band: 4 pc.
- Standard collet
Ryobi Brushless Rotary Tool Design Notes
The precision handpiece uses durable aluminum for its construction to reduce weight. I really like the size and weight of the handpiece—it feels similar to gripping a large Sharpie permanent marker. It’s the pen-type grip that gives you more precise control than standard rotary tool designs.
Its 36-inch flexible shaft puts a little distance between your hand and the motor, helping to reduce the vibration in your hand compared to traditional all-in-one rotary tools.
Pro Tip: Yes, it looks like a dentist’s tool. No, don’t use it like one. DIY dentistry never ends well.
- Integrated hanger
- Molded keyholes for secure wall mounting
- Handle rest attaches to either side of the motor housing
Ryobi Brushless Rotary Tool Price
The rotary tool retails for $149 as a bare tool. It’s $179 as kit which includes a single 2.0Ah 18V High-Performance battery and charger, plus you get the foot pedal. Considering it’s only $30 more to complete the full set, we recommend going the kit route.
Ryobi backs it with a 3-year warranty as well as a 90-day money-back guarantee.
The Bottom Line
With several Ryobi rotary tools available, we set out to discover where this one fits. As the only brushless model, it’s the high-performance king of the hill. Thanks to its precision handpiece, it’s also an excellent choice for detail work. There may be some times when you’d rather have an all-in-one handheld tool rather than the separation of a cable. For everything else, this is Ryobi’s best rotary tool.
To explore Ryobi’s full line of rotary tools, click here.
Ryobi Brushless Rotary Tool Specifications
- Model: Ryobi PBLRT01
- Power Source: Ryobi 18V battery
- Speed: 1,000-25,000 RPM
- Shaft Length: 36 in.
- Weight: 2.94 lbs. (bare), 3.94 lbs (with 2.0Ah 18V HP battery)
- Chuck capacity: 1/8 in.
- Warranty: 3-year
- Price: $149 (bare), $179 (kit)