Ridgid 16-Gauge Straight Nailer with Clean Drive R250SFF
The newest edition of the Ridgid 16-Gauge Straight Nailer gets the same Clean Drive upgrade we see in their 18-gauge and 15-gauge models. It’s a tighter drive track that gives you up to 17x more perfect drives in Ridgid’s internal testing.
In our testing, the system is clearly working well with noticeably fewer jams. Is it 17 times fewer? I don’t feel like counting that many nails!
- Clean Drive reduces the number of jams and misfires
- Smaller nose helps visibility
- Well-rounded feature set
- Slightly higher weight than the closest competition
- Mid-range pricing at $169
A Quick Tour Around the Nailer
Clean Drive and the small nose are enough to give you a tangible performance boost compared to other finish nailers. The rest of the feature set is pretty much a verification that it’s well-rounded.
- Dry fire lockout
- Two-stage mode change (push in and turn the dial)
- Thumbwheel depth adjust in front of the trigger
- Easy lever action jam access
- Rear-loading magazine with bypass pusher
- Swiveling plastic belt hook
- Swiveling air inlet included
- Oil-free motor
- Adjustable air exhaust
- 2 narrow and one wide no-mar tips
My only major complaint is that the plastic magazine doesn’t give you the snappy pusher action you get from an all-metal build.
It’s not a big deal for me personally, but some Pros might not be happy about the lack of a metal back cap. I’d rather have the adjustable exhaust that comes on this model so just realize it’s plastic if that’s something you look for.
Most of the nailers in this class range from 3.7 to 4 pounds, though Metabo HPT’s A5 pushes 4.4 pounds with its more robust build. The Ridgid R250SFF rolls in at 4.2 pounds – a few ounces heavier than its closest peers.
Ridgid’s updated 16-gauge nailer sets you back $169. It’s right in the middle of other options in the Pro range with Metabo HPT’s high-end build setting the mark for the premium class. It’s about as full-featured as you can hope for at this price and carries Ridgid’s Lifetime Service Agreement.
- Paslode 515500: $129.00
- Craftsman CMPFN16K: $149.99
- Makita AF601: $159
- Metabo HPT (Hitachi) NT65M2S: $159
- Senco 9S0001N: $164.99
- Ridgid R250SFF: $169
- DeWalt DWFP71917: $179
- Bostitch BTFP71917: $159 .99
- Metabo HPT (Hitachi) NT65A5: $328.69
The updated Ridgid 16-Gauge Straight Nailer is still making its way into the market, but early user reviews on Home Depot’s website and our initial experiences are positive. I’ll come back around to update this article if we run into any issues.
Ridgid 16-Gauge Straight Nailer Specifications
- Model: Ridgid R250SFF
- Fastener Range: 1/4″ t0 2-1/2″
- Minimum Air Delivery: 1 SCFM @ 90 PSI
- Operating Pressure: 70 – 120 PSI
- Nail Guage: 16
- Nailgun Angle:0
- Width: 3″
- Height: 10.90″
- Warranty: lifetime service
- Price: $169