You may be familiar with DeWalt’s Perform & Protect line of power tools. They’re the ones that offer better control, better dust containment, lower vibration, or a combination without sacrificing performance to do it. What you likely haven’t seen is a hand tool in the line. That is, unless you’ve already discovered the DeWalt Carbon Fiber Composite Hammer Tacker, designed with reduced vibration in mind.
As an Ironman triathlete, the mere mention of carbon fiber always gets my attention. The lightweight material designed to offer exceptional structural integrity and vibration reduction in my bike offers the same advantages for race cars and tools. Thanks to the carbon fiber design, the DeWalt Carbon Fiber Composite Hammer Tacker claims 45% less weight and 25% reduced effort compared to Milwaukee’s 48-22-1020 Hammer Tacker.
Designers worked with United States Ergonomics (an ergonomics consulting firm) standards to develop the handle and carbon fiber housing in a way to advance a tool that is typically anything but ergonomic by nature. The result earned the DeWalt Carbon Fiber Composite Hammer Tacker official product certification from the company.
If reliability is a question, feel free to try that one out for yourself. The hammer tacker has been tested to 450,000 strikes and I have no intention whatsoever of attempting to prove it.
Carbon fiber was definitely the way to go as an improvement to the hammer tacker. There’s no doubt it’s better at reducing weight and vibration than other materials able to stand up to the work a hammer tacker has to do. Typically carbon fiber comes with a premium on the price but it’s really not much with this model. You’ll pay about $35 for one of the better hammer tackers on the market and it’s covered for life by DeWalt.
DeWalt Carbon Fiber Composite Hammer Tacker Key Features
- Carbon fiber composite structure for 45% less weight and 24% less muscle exertion (compared to Milwaukee’s 48-22-1020)
- Drop in loading for easy reloading of fasteners
- Ergonomic design and vibration absorbing grip for improved comfort during prolonged use
- Hammer style grip for comfort and ease of use
- 450,000 strike cycles
- Auto-lock, AntiJam pinch latch for reliable and easy operation
- Drives 5/16″, 3/8″, and 1/2″ heavy duty staples
- Part of DeWalt’s Perform and Protect line
DeWalt Carbon Fiber Composite Hammer Tacker Specifications
- Model: DeWalt DWHT75900
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Length: 14.93 inches
- Fastener Range: 5/16″, 3/8″, and 1/2″ heavy duty staples
- Warranty: Limited lifetime
- Price: $32.99