Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer Review with Dust Extractor GBH18V-26DN
The Bosch Bulldog 1-Inch SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer with Dust Extractor can make the company’s stalwart concrete tool OSHA compliant through objective data while keeping it cordless. That’s great news. Silica dust is deadly and dragging out a corded dust extractor is a pain in the neck. The Bosch GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog Dust Extractor turns any number of compatible Bosch rotary hammers into a potentially safer tool.
- The HEPA filter can be OSHA compliant with objective data
- The compact dust extractor is surprisingly unobtrusive
- KickBack control protects users during bind-ups
- Requires separate battery (could also be a positive for use with legacy hammers)
RecommendationThe addition of the onboard Bosch GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog Dust Extractor to the already-excellent Bulldog marks a home run. For job site veterans who didn’t think much about dust before, it limits further exposure to silica without being burdensome. It also helps keep the new folks out of harm’s way altogether. I use this combination on every job, and my work and health are better for it.
Being a Bulldog
I’ve been using the Bosch Bulldog GBH18V-26 rotary hammer for some time now, so I had high confidence the Bosch GBH18V-26DN D-handle model would produce. It was a bit of a different story with the GDE18V-26DN Dust Extractor. I had questions: Would it make the tool too cumbersome? Could it really capture all of the ambient dust? I’d never used a dust extractor like this before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.
My skepticism quickly evaporated on our first job. The GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog dust extractor combined easily with the Bosch Bulldog D-handle rotary hammer. Although it requires its own battery, the combination wasn’t unwieldy. The extractor fits neatly under the rotary hammer. It does add around five pounds to the tool, but I don’t have to drag around a canister and hose.
Clearing the Air with the Bosch GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog Dust Extractor
We drilled more than a few rebar dowel and other masonry anchor holes. We primarily used Bosch Bulldog Xtreme SDS-Plus bits but tried other bits as well. The dust eye (the brush-filled circle that channels dust to the vacuum ring) and extractor’s suction captured all airborne particles. Or, it captured all particles we could see with the naked eye, at least. The extractor’s guide rail smoothly kept the dust eye at the hole’s opening for maximum efficacy.
Of course, the proof lies in the dust container. Bosch claims that the container’s capacity is enough for twenty, 2-1/2-inch holes with a 1/2-inch diameter bit. That seems about right to me. In the old days, too much of that dust could have ended up in your lungs. The improvement is significant.
The extractor also has its own battery gauge. This works well since the battery position blocks any convenient view of the onboard LEDs.
Takin’ It Easy
Keeping dust out of the air (and your lungs) on outdoor projects is good enough. But, of course, the benefits of dust extraction accrue further indoors. For remodels that don’t require a ton of clean up, using a Bulldog rotary hammer with the Bosch GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog dust extractor works really well.
This Bosch Bulldog with Dust Extractor will set you back $379 before batteries (bare tools). Here’s a look at the competition:
- Bosch Bulldog GBH18V-26DN with Dust Extractor GDE18V-26DN: $379 ($111.16 for just the extractor)
- Milwaukee Rotary Hammer 2713-20 $249.55 (bare tool) and HammerVac 2715-DE $169.00
- DeWalt Rotary Hammer DCH263B with Dust Extractor DWH205DH (bare tools): $458
- Makita Rotary Hammer with Dust Extractor XRH10ZW (bare tools): $559.00
The Bottom Line
This Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer with Dust Extractor is the perfect combination for most of my concrete drilling and probably most of yours. It works flawlessly and comes in at a great price. Since you have to be compliant now—and you should be anyway—this moves me in the right direction.
Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer with Dust Extractor Specifications
- Height: 6.25 inches
- Length: 17.5 inches
- Width: 3.25 inches
- Impact Energy/EPTA: 1.9 foot-pounds
- Concrete Max Capacity: 1 inch
- Steel Max Capacity: 1/2 inch
- Wood Max Capacity: 1-1/4 inch
- Max. Hole Diameter in Concrete-Thin Wall Core Bit: 2-5/8 inches
- No Load BPM: 0-4,350
- No Load RPM: 0-890
- Price: $219 (bare tool)
Bosch GDE18V-26DN SDS-plus Bulldog Dust Extractor
- Material: Metal + plastic
- Filter: HEPA
- Length: 13.6 in.
- Compatible tools: GBH18V-26DN, 11255VSR, GBH2-28L, RH228VC
- Weight: 3.64 pounds
- Includes: GDE18V-26D SDS-plus Bulldog dust extractor, dust container, HEPA filter, auxiliary handle, 5/8 in. dust eye, 1 in. dust eye, 4 in. extension
- Price: $111.16 (bare tool – requires battery)
For more information visit the Bosch website.