686 Turns Workwear Into Everyday Wear with the Unwork Collection
Known primarily for its outdoor gear, the 686 Unwork collection is taking a unique approach to the concept of workwear. Take a closer look and see if it has the build and style you’re looking for on and off the job.
686 Unwork Basics
The concept of Unwork is straightforward—combine the flexibility and breathability of outdoor clothing with the durability required for construction work to create a do-everything clothing line.
If you’re familiar with 686’s Everywhere line, you’ll notice a difference. The Unwork Stretch Canvas is 33% stronger than the standard Everywhere material.
It’s not cheap, but it’s not cheaply built, so that’s not a surprise. The material choices and construction position this workwear in the premium category.
686 Unwork Everywhere Pants
- Color: Off Back or Tobacco
- Fit: Slim or Relaxed
- Sizes: 30/30, 32/32, 34/32, 36/34, 38/34
- Material: 97% nylon/3% Spandex
- Sun Protection: UPF 40+
- Pockets: 11
The pants come in either a relaxed or slim fit. From there, everything else about them are the same, so you’re not making any trade-offs just to get the fit you want.
The material is a 97% nylon/3% Spandex blend that has plenty of stretch to promote easy movement while wicking moisture away. At the same time, a DWR coating helps resist outside moisture from penetrating through to your skin.
It may take a while for you to find all the pockets—there are 11 total. Seriously, they’re everywhere on the front, back, and sides. Plus, there’s a hammer loop.
- Standard L/R front pockets
- Right pocket above/inside the standard pocket (great for a cell phone)
- Left pockets (2) above/inside the standard pocket (great for an EDC knife and carpenter’s pencil)
- Right thigh pocket with vertical zipper entry (mesh interior)
- Large left thigh pocket (great for large phone)
- Medium left thigh pocket above the large thigh pocket
- Standard L/R rear pockets
- Bonus medium right rear pocket offset and above the right rear pocket
Here are some other key features:
- Seven 500D belt loops
- Internal drawstring
- Back boot kick panel on the heel
- Crotch gusset
- Contoured waistband
- Seams stitched with Duracore thread
Whichever fit you prefer, you can get it for $129.95.
686 Unwork Everywhere Jacket
- Color: Black
- Sizes: Small – XL
- Outer Material: 97% nylon/3% Spandex
- Inner Material: Merino wool blend
- Sun Protection: UPF 40+
- Buttons: Metal
- Pockets: 7
The Unwork Everywhere Jacket starts with the same material as the pants for the exterior panels. Inside, you’ll enjoy the comfort of a Merino wool blend liner. If you’re not familiar with Merino wool, get to know the name. This natural material shares similar breathability and moisture wicking characteristics as polyester, but it doesn’t trap odors.
Moving up to the collar, it’s corduroy, leading down to a series of metal buttons. Around the jacket, you’ll find a total of seven pockets, including a couple of interior ones. The cuffs are adjustable, and the whole garment has a DWR coating to keep rain and snow at bay.
Grab this one for $179.95.