DeWalt FlexVolt SDS-Max Rotary Hammer 1-7/8″: New Tool Tip-Off
The latest DeWalt FlexVolt SDS-Max Rotary Hammer is all about pushing the envelope of cordless rotary hammer power. With a 1-7/8″ maximum drilling capacity, it produces 13.3 joules of impact energy. If you’re like most of us that aren’t using joules, that’s 9.8 foot-pounds.
- 13.3 joules/9.8 ft-lbs of impact energy
- Most powerful cordless rotary hammer currently available
- $699 bare/$999 kit
- Model DCH733B/DCH733X2
That figure puts DeWalt at the top of the power curve for cordless SDS-Max rotary hammers at the moment. Its optimal drilling range is 3/4″ – 1-3/4″, up 5/8″ from their previous FlexVolt model. For core drilling, expect to handle bits up to 5″.
DeWalt sticks with 1-7/8″ mechanism they use in the corded version of this tool. That’s a move that should boost the overall durability of the tool.
Moving to safety, DeWalt includes an electronic clutch system that’s capable of detecting the motion of the hammer to shut it down in a bind-up. They also add Active Vibration Control to bring vibration down to a reasonable 9.0 M/S².
You shouldn’t expect a tool like this to end up in anyone’s bargain bin. The bare tool is $699 and the kit with two 9.0 Ah FlexVolt batteries will set you back $999. Look for the DCH733 to hit stores in September.
DeWalt FlexVolt SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Key Features
- Most powerful cordless rotary hammer available
- Electronic clutch system detects tool rotation in a bind-up
- Maintains speed under heavier loads and varying concrete densities
- Offers the ability to drill and demolish with one tool
- Same mechanism used on Dewalt’s 1-7/8″ corded rotary hammer
- Protects against the effects of vibration
- Adjustable drilling/chipping speed
- Service light alerts you to maintenance needs
DeWalt FlexVolt SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Specifications
- Model: DeWalt DCH733B/DCH733X2
- Power Source: DeWalt FlexVolt 60V battery
- Impact Energy: 13.3 joules/8.9 foot-pounds
- No Load Speed: 177-355 RPM
- Optimal Drilling Range: 3/4″ – 1-3/4″
- Vibration Rating: 9.0 M/S²
- Length: 23.5″
- Height: 11.2″
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Price: $699 bare, $999 kit
- Warranty: 3 years