Something caught our eye this afternoon as we spotted the Kaba E-Plex 2000 Self-powered Electronic Lock that promised a battery-free, “self-powered” digital lock that could stay going continuously, just from the motion of turning the handle. I want this… Why? Because it’s 2011 and we have yet to see Star Trek doors with swooshing sounds, and voice-activated computers that can make the perfect cup of espresso out of thin air. No… all we got was the flip phone and we put some old guys on the moon. I want my futuristic space-traveling dreamscape that was supposed to be here in the 1980 (if you watched TV in the 50’s, that is). If a self-powered electronic lock takes me even 1-inch closer to it, then by golly – I want one.
The Kaba E-Plex 2000 Self-powered Electronic Lock comes with “PowerStar” technology that charges lock with each turn of the lever. As a result, it has no external wiring that goes to or through door, and you don’t need to install or replace batteries every year or so. The keypad-enabled lock is operated by turning lever once to power-up the electronics. After that you can enter a valid access code, and then turn the lever again to gain access.
It’s fairly sophisticated, too – with up to 100 user codes that can be added to a single lock. Other programmable features include passage, lockout, tamper shutdown, and service codes. Passage mode allows you to open up the lock for daytime use, and automatically re-lock the system after a set number of hours. It’s a fairly simple device for now – and not much to look at, though in commercial settings I don’t think it will be an issue. The locking unit is available in cylindrical, mortise, and exit trims and you can get it with a satin chrome or satin brass finish.
Kaba E-Plex 2000 Self-powered Electronic Lock Features
- 100 codes; over 100 million possible combinations
- Right or left hand (preset) door installations
- Easily programmed via keypad – no software required
- Optional Key-in-Lever cylinder in Schlage C Keyway with black Kaba cap
- Small format Best and Equivalents (6 or 7-pin length)
- Locking Device Options:
- Cylindrical: Cylindrical latch with 3-hour UL/ULC fire rating on “A” labeled doors
- Mortise: American Standard Mortise, with and without, deadbolt; auto deadbolt available
- Exit Trim: Compatible with most leading brands of exit devices
Operation Mode Options
- PIN access
- Passage—can be toggled on/off or can be pre-programmed to re-lock after a certain number of hours
Certification and Standards
- BHMA Grade 1 Certified
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- UL 10C Fire rated
- Indoor/Outdoor Approved; -31° F (-35° C) to + 151° F (66° C)
Warranty: 2-year warranty from date of installation; built-in warranty counter in lock memory