Stihl Shows Off an Industry-First Magnesium Alloy Piston
Like the MS 500i, which is the world’s first chainsaw to feature electronically controlled fuel injection, the Stihl MS 400 C-M features a first of its own. This saw showcases a magnesium alloy piston that improves power and torque without adding any additional weight. Plus, with the Stihl M-Tronic engine tech, tree care and forestry Pros get a powerful chainsaw that delivers low emissions and better fuel efficiency in all operating conditions.
The proverbial “talk of the town” here is obviously the engineering team replacing the standard aluminum alloy piston with a magnesium alloy piston. Stihl tells us that this particular innovation improves the engine displacement by 13%, providing greater power and torque. Yet, despite this increase in performance (5.4 bhp), the Stihl MS 400 C-M maintains an excellent power-to-weight ratio (12.8 lbs.)
Additionally, the Stihl MS 400 C-M Chainsaw features the M-Tronic Intelligent Engine Management. This innovation eliminates the low and high-speed carburetor adjustment screws; instead, it electronically adjusts the fuel and air mixture in the carb for any operating conditions. This “smart” engine continuously monitors the operating conditions and the speed of the chain, optimizing engine performance while saving fuel.
Thanks to the M-Tronic system, this Stihl MS 400 C-M offers excellent acceleration, even after a cold start. It even remembers your last setting under the same conditions and resets to it every time once the engine reaches full power.
Finally, the other “big deal” here is the filter system. The Stihl MS 400 C-M starts with a pre-separation air filtration system. This tech doubles the time between air filter cleanings by using centrifugal force to draw out heavier debris articles before they hit the air filter. When less dirt hits the filter, you’ll need to clean it less often. When it is time to do something with the HD2 air filter, you’ll only need to clean it, rather than replacing it altogether.
- ElastoStart Starter Handle provides a built-in shock absorber that helps reduce the effort required to pull-start the chainsaw
- Quickstop chain brake stops the chain in the event of the chain kicking back, stopping the chain within fractions of a second
- Adjustable Automatic Oiler lets you adjust the lubricant to the bar and chain relative to the length of the bar and cutting conditions
- Ematic Lubrication System keeps bar and chain, and rivets and driver holes, lubed up while reducing oil consumption by up to 50%
- Anti-Vibration System reduces operator fatigue
- Retainers for the fuel and oil caps
- Side-access chain tensioner
- Master Control Lever provides a single lever to operate choke, starting throttle lock, and on-off switch
- Decompression valve reduces the compression in the combustion chamber at start-up to make pull-starting the chainsaw easier
- Winter/Summer Shutter lets the carburetor operate at the optimum temperature year-round and prevents the carburetor from icing over when working in lower temperatures
When it actually debuts, you’ll be able to pick up the Stihl MS 400 C-M Chainsaw at any Stihl dealer location or directly from the Stihl website. Like Stihl’s other gas-powered chainsaws, it comes with a 1-year residential or 3-month commercial warranty. With the 20″ bar and chain, it should retail for around $869.99.
For more information, including where to find your closest Stihl dealership, click here.
Stihl Chainsaw Specs
- Model: Stihl MS 400 C-M
- Displacement: 66.8 cc (4.1 in.3)
- Engine Power: 4.0 kW (5.4 bhp)
- Weight: 5.8 kg (12.8 lbs)
- Fuel Capacity: 600cc (20.3 oz)
- Oil Capacity: 325 cc (11 oz)
- Guide Bar Length: 40 to 63 cm (16 in. to 25 in.)
- Warranty: 1-year residential / 3-month professional
- Price: $869.99 w/20 in. guide bar and chain