Bosch GBH18V-20N 18V SDS-Plus 3/4″ Rotary Hammer
Bosch has recently announced a new addition to their cordless rotary hammer lineup. The Bosch GBH18V-20N is a 3/4″ cordless rotary hammer that runs on the company’s 18V battery platform that includes the Core18V battery. At a lightweight 5.7 lbs (7 lbs, including the battery), the GBH18V-20N advertises a great performance-to-weight ratio. Considering how well the older Bosch RHH181-01 performed for us in the past, as well as how Bosch concrete products are generally received, we’re looking forward to seeing what their new light-to-medium duty cordless rotary hammer has to offer.
What Does Bosch Say About The GBH18V-20?
“For construction pros or tradesmen like electricians who are looking for a rotary hammer that’s easy to handle for everyday jobs, the Bosch GBH18V-20 delivers. At only seven pounds, this rotary hammer still delivers the power that pros demand. From the standpoint of efficiency, performance, and affordability, it’s the right tool for someone who demands responsiveness in a standard rotary hammer.”
-Mike Iezzi, product manager, concrete products, Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
The key to this new rotary hammer revolves around its compact, lightweight design. With a battery attached, it weighs in at 7 lbs., making it a viable option for many masonry applications. User fatigue during longer and overhead applications is mitigated because of its smaller footprint, too.
Power might be a concern for some rotary hammers at this size, but the Bosch GBH18V-20N delivers 1.3 Ft-Lbs of impact energy and has a no-load BPM rating of 0-5,850. It also features a no-load RPM rating of 0-1,800, which is a bit more robust than some of Bosch’s other comparable entries into the cordless rotary hammer market. A user can toggle between three standard modes with this new tool – drilling, hammer drilling, and chiseling.
The new rotary hammer is compatible with any Bosch 18V lithium-ion battery. It’s possible to use a Slim Pack, but you’ll get better performance out a Fat Pack or Core18V pack. In Bosch’s internal performance tests, the GBH18V-20N drilled 100 1-1/2″ deep holes with a 1/4″ bit in concrete on a single charge. Granted, that’s not a huge hole, but it does give us an idea of runtime for light-duty work.
It offers variable speed performance and has a forward/reverse function. LED lights help the user work in darker corners. The tool also features the SDS-Plus chuck, which allows for keyless bit changing. As a bare tool, the GBH18V-20N retails for $399.
Bosch concrete tools typically perform well, and I doubt that this new offering is going to buck that trend. It looks like Bosch bumped up the power a bit for this rotary hammer, but still managed to keep it light. Granted, it’s still not the most powerful cordless product on the market, but its definitely no slouch either, and it looks like it can handle light- to medium-duty construction applications conveniently.
Their products tend a little bit toward the pricier end of the spectrum, but the price usually seems justifiable given the way they perform in this sector. This new rotary hammer probably isn’t the exception to that rule either, but at $399 for the bare tool, you might be tempted toward other options. That’s just fine for occasional concrete drilling Pros, but most of the guys we know using Bosch’s tools are pretty loyal to the performance they get.
Bosch GBH18V-20N 18V SDS-Plus 3/4″ Rotary Hammer Features
- Powerful, compact cordless rotary hammer – features drilling performance plus chiseling in a lighter tool, to allow great productivity and efficiency in concrete and masonry applications
- Lightweight design, at only 5.7 Lbs. (tool only, not including battery) – for great performance-to-weight ratio
- Efficient 18V motor – produces 1.3 Ft.-Lbs. of impact energy for professional applications
- Robust power system – produces 0-5,850 no-load bpm and 0-1,800 no-load rpm
- Three-mode selector switch – drilling, hammer drilling, and chiseling
- Ergonomic design – provides great user comfort, with a soft-grip handle
- Electronic Cell Protection – protects battery from overload
- Electronic Motor Protection – protects motor from overheating
- SDS-plus chuck – industry-standard system compatible with many bits
- Battery: Lithium-Ion Battery
- Battery Voltage: 18V
- Battery/Charger: Not Included
- Chuck Design: Keyless
- Impact Energy/EPTA: 1.3 ft.lbs.
- Height: 8.7″
- Length: 12.8″
- Max. Capacity In Concrete: 3/4″
- Max. Capacity in Steel: 1/2″
- Max. Capacity In Wood: 1-1/4″
- Max. Hole Diameter in Concrete – Thin Wall Core Bit: 2-5/8″
- No-Load BPM: 0-5,850
- No-Load RPM: 0-1,800
- Weight: 5.7lb
- Width: 3.5″
- Includes: (1) GBH18V-20 18V 3/4 In. SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer, (1) Auxiliary Handle, (1) Depth Gauge
- MSRP: $399