The Ridgid 18V RE 6 Electrical Tool consolidates three tools into one with interchangeable heads for cutting through wire, crimping lugs, and knockout punching electrical boxes. The scissor cutter head cuts through wire up to 750 kcmil and uses a steel guard to keep the blades aligned. The 4-pin dieless crimp head can crimp lugs up the 750 kcmil and features automatic ram retraction. The Swiv-L-Punch head can knockout 4-inch holes on 12 gauge mild and 14 gauge stainless steel.
Ridgid’s QuickChange System allows a tool free head change by pulling back a collar to insert or remove heads, which rotate 360 degrees. Other notable features include an LED worklight, onboard diagnostics that ensure a full cycle, a battery fuel gauge, a temperature sensor to prevent overheating, a 32,000-cycle service interval, and Ridgid’s Full Lifetime Warranty against material defects and workmanship.
The Bottom Line
The Ridgid 18V RE 6 Electrical Tool isn’t a new kid on the block – it actually won a Pro Tool Innovation Award after its announcement in 2014. But what we said of it then still rings true today and it has the user feedback to back up our initial impressions. Interchangeable head systems can be hit or miss when it comes to making a tool that’s actually functional. Ridgid seems to have nailed it with the RE 6 that allows electricians to cut thick gauge wire, crimp cable connectors, and punch holes in electrical boxes. They also receive bonus points for their James Bond-esque product video.
One thing to note – the Ridgid RE 6 comes from the Emerson side of Ridgid, not the power tool side. The battery you’ll use isn’t the one you can snag at your local Home Depot. It’s a Ridgid Advanced Lithium battery pack designed for the Ridgid Emerson tools.
Ridgid 18V RE 6 Electrical Tool Features
- Cut wire, crimp lugs and punch boxes with one tool via the patent-pending QuickChange System
- Interchangeable heads allow for the tool to be customized to meet individual needs.
- 3-in-1 tool saves valuable cargo space and eliminates trips back and forth to the truck searching for different tools.
- Inline design for easy, one-handed operation even in tight spots.
- Industry-leading service interval maximizes uptime on the job site.
Ridgid 18V RE 6 Electrical Tool Specifications
- Six ton hydraulic force output to cut and crimp up to 750 kcmil (MCM) and knockout punch up to 4″
- Automatic ram retraction when cutting and crimping
- 360° head rotation increases maneuverability
- Bright white LED workspace illumination light
- Rubber overmolded grips for comfort and control
- Nylon straps allow easy tethering or hoisting
- 5 seconds approximate cycle time
- 32,000 cycles service interval
- Power Source: Ridgid Advanced Lithium 18V Battery
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Price: $4,637.60