New FLIR MR176 Pairs Thermal Imaging with a Moisture Meter
FLIR is expanding their thermal imaging expertise into tools for contractors, remodelers, MRO, and HVAC professionals with the new FLIR MR176 Imaging Moisture Meter. Thermal imaging is a phenomenal tool for detecting moisture on its own. As moisture dries (or attempts to dry if it’s a constant source), it has to give off energy, resulting in evaporative cooling. What this means for you and me is moisture appears cooler than the surrounding environment on a thermal imager.
FLIR took this idea and paired with a moisture meter to give you an all in one solution, making detection and measurement easier. Moisture, temperature, relative humidity, dew point, vapor pressure, and mixing ratio can all be added to your images, creating a complete picture for you or your client. Ice, iron, rainbow, and gray thermal image color options can also be selected.
Both intrusive and non-intrusive moisture measurements can be taken with a variety of probes, pins, and accessories available for the FLIR MR176. The temperature/relative humidity sensor can be easily replaced in the field to reduce downtime. A Progressive Environmental Stability indicator lets you know when the relative humidity has stabilized when you change locations.
The FLIR Imaging Moisture Meter is compatible with FLIR Tools, the company’s free software. I use it to work with images taken from my FLIR C2 Thermal Imager. It enables you to document your findings, prepare reports, and share with others. FLIR backs their new imaging moisture meter with the 2-10 warranty, covering the tool for 2 years and the thermal sensor for 10 years.
Included with the meter is an MR01 replaceable temperature and relative humidity sensor, MR02 standard pin probe, Quick Start guide, international USB charger, and USB cable. Expect retail prices to be $999.99.
FLIR MR176 Imaging Moisture Meter Specifications
- Display Resolution: 320 x 240 QVGA color TFT display
- Thermal Resolution: 80 x 60 (4800 pixels)
- Image Calibration: Automatic with lock scale option
- Field of View: 51 degrees x 38 degrees
- Detection Limit @ 10 Meters: 48 square cm (19.7 square inches)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 10 cm (4″)
- Pin Moisture Range: 7% – 30% @ +/- 1.5% MC; 30% – 100% reference only
- Pinless Moisture Range: 0% – 100%
- Max Pinless Measurement Depth: 0.75″ (19 mm)
- Relative Humidity: 0% – 100% @ 2.5% accuracy
- Air Temperature: 32 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit, +/- 1.1 degrees
- Dew Point: -22 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit, +/- 1.8 degrees
- Vapor Pressure: 0.0 to 12.0 kPa, +/- 0.05 kPA
- Mixing Ratio: 1 to 560 GPP, +/- 2 GPP
- Image Storage Capacity: 9999 images
- Run Time: 18 continuous hours
- Battery: 3.7 V, 3000 mAh li-ion battery
- Certifications: EN 61326 (EMC), EN 60825-1 Class 2 Laser
- Agency Approval: CE, FCC Class B