Give Your Wrist A Break With The Mac Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver
Working in tight spaces can be a real pain in the back…or the wrist in this case. Frankly, unless you have the finger strength and dexterity of a professional massage therapist, turning a screwdriver in cramped quarters is just no fun. We got our hands on the Mac Tool 4V cordless screwdriver to see what this premium model does differently from budget brands.
- Easy to use
- Quick change tool-free collet
- Bright LED lights
- Pricey compared to other cordless screwdrivers on the market
- Some room for improvement on the grip texturing
Using The Mac Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver
The controls are about as easy as they come. A simple thumb-activated forward and reverse button sits right on top of the tool, controlling its constant 300 RPM speed. One subtle touch you might miss is the forward arrow sticks up and the reverse is recessed. It’s a little thing that helps you focus on the fastener without having to look at the switch each time you press it.
The Mac Tools SBD4V has a low-torque motor that produces 8 inch-pounds of torque (0.9 Nm), so it doesn’t have the torque you might find in something like a drywall screwdriver. Once you reach the screwdriver’s torque limit, you can still operate it manually in forward or reverse.
Pro Tip: Stick with fasteners smaller than #8 diameter and less than 2 inches, or use a pre-drilled hole if you’re working with longer screws.
This one is perfect for working with delicate materials such as molded plastic. Around our shop, it’s incredibly useful for removing/installing vehicle panels, hose clamps, installing switch plates, and assembling tools with plastic parts.
Standout Features of the Mac Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver
A couple of things stand out from most of the cordless screwdrivers we’ve used in the past.
First is the ergonomics of the design. To make room for a battery, many designs bulk up the handle and aren’t very comfortable for small and medium-size hands. Mac Tools’ design is much slimmer, though it is still a little thicker than a standard screwdriver.
There’s some give-and-take on the handle overmold. On one hand, its smooth design is very comfortable. On the other, it can get slick if your hands are sweaty or greasy.
The second thing is an IP54 rating. In addition to the water and dust resistance we normally think of with IP ratings, this screwdriver is also able to resist some of the common solvents you come across.
- An LED light is at the base of the handle shifts between green, yellow, red, and flashing red to indicate current battery life.
- Five bright LEDs surround the collet and automatically turn on when the screwdriver is active and stay on for 10 seconds after the rotation has stopped.
- The quick-change tool-free collet lets you swap out any 1/4-inch hex bits fast and holds bits more securely than a magnet alone.
- The USB-C charging port is located at the rear of the tool and charges from 0% to 100% in 70 minutes.
Mac Tool 4V Cordless Screwdriver Bit Set
Cordless screwdriver bit sets often seem like an afterthought or an easy value-add. However, Mac Tools includes one of the most comprehensive bit sets we’ve seen with their model. We also love that it all fits neatly in a hard plastic case that’s easy to fit in a shallow tool chest drawer. Here’s what comes in the set:
- Ph0, Ph 1, Ph2, Ph3, Ph4
- #1, #2, #3
- 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32-inch
- T6, T7, T8, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45
- Security Torx
- T20, T25
- Security Hex
- SAE: 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32-inch
- Metric: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm
- Ball-End Hex:
- SAE: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4-inch
- Metric: 3mm, 4mm, 5mm
- Square: #1, #2, #3
- 1/4-inch square drive adapter (1-inch and 2-inch)
- 1/4-inch hex bit holder
Mac Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver Price
You can snag this Mac Tools 52-piece cordless screwdriver kit for $209.99 online or from your local Mac Tools dealer. They back it with a 3-year limited warranty so remember to register your tool!
The Bottom Line
There’s no question this Pro-focused cordless screwdriver set is more expensive than other brands you might have seen. The fact that it can make you more productive, help you work more comfortably, and thrive in environments that cause early failure in other models are three big reasons to give the Mac Tools 4V cordless screwdriver serious consideration.
To learn more about The MAC Tools Cordless Screwdriver, click here.
MAC Tools 4V Cordless Screwdriver Specifications
- Model: MAC Tools SBD4V
- Power source: Rechargeable 4V Lithium-ion
- No-load speed: 300 RPMs
- Weight: 9 oz.
- IP56 Rated
- Length: 6.75 in.
- Quick change locking collet
- 48 assorted bits
- 5 LED work lights
- USB-C charging port
- Included bits: Phillips, Pozidriv, Slotted, Security Torx, Torx, Security Hex, Ball end hex, Square drive, Male bit extenders, Female bit coupler
- 3-year warranty
- Price: $209.99
Don’t forget to check out some of our other MAC Tool reviews!