The Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler Keeps Your Drinks Cool On Hot Summer Days
You can spend hundreds of dollars on a cooler if you want, but not everyone needs 5 days of ice retention and enough space to store a 3-man limit of red snapper. We put some drinks on ice to what the Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler has to offer for your everyday job.
- Sturdy build
- Lockable lid
- Ridgid storage box compatible
- Lower price than premium coolers
- Low ice retention compared to premium coolers
Using the Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler
After loading a 16-pound bag of ice (remember the good ole days of 20-pound bags?) and a handful of drinks into Ridgid’s 27-quart cooler, we tested the ice retention against the 48-hour claims. Opening the cooler once a day to grab a drink and check the levels, ice remained very close to that mark. If you fill the cooler with ice all the way to the brim, you might get a little more, but 1 to 2 days is what you should expect.
While a gasket around the lid helps regulate the internal temperature, the walls and lid are relatively thin. It’s not on the same design level compared to something like a Grizzly or Yeti cooler which is made to hold ice up for longer and uses a dense insulating layer. The upside is Ridgd’s cooler is far lighter than we expect from similar-sized premium models.
Something no other cooler brand can claim is compatibility with Ridgid’s stacking toolbox system. Just like the toolboxes in the line, the Ridgid Cold Box Cooler can lock in with any of the boxes you like. When it comes to the way the design team intends for you to use the cooler, it’s a big deal.
- Heavy-duty construction holds up to 50 pounds
- 27 Qt. capacity and can hold up to 42 cans
- Oversized carrying handle folds either direction and includes a positive stop in the upright position
- Two durable hard plastic latches keep the lid securely fastened
- Lockable lid accepts a large padlock to keep out any sticky fingers
- Two shallow cup holders on the lid keep drinks from sliding off
Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler Price
Look for the Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler on the shelves of your local Home Depot for $79.97. Compared to premium coolers, it’s a far lower price.
The Bottom Line
Ridgid designed this cooler to be your everyday partner to keep drinks and food cold on the jobsite. Working with your Ridgid stacking toolboxes, it’s an excellent companion. However, it does its best work on a 24-hour rotation, so if you’re looking for something to support a long weekend camping trip in the wilderness, this isn’t it.
To check out Ridgid’s latest tools, click here.
Ridgid 27-Quart Cold Box Cooler Specifications
- Model: Ridgid 249843
- Material: Resin
- Weight Capacity: 50 lbs.
- Bare Weight: 10.56 lbs.
- Capacity: 27 Qt./ 42 cans
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 25.25 in. x 14 in. x 12.50 in.
- Warranty: 90-day returnable
- Price: $79.97