Simpson 4000 PSI Pressure Washer Targets High-Performance Professional Cleaning
When I’m not at my day job as a firefighter, I run an agricultural construction business and keep our family’s farm in good order. I have a wide variety of needs for a pressure washer from paint prep to concrete cleaning. I’m upgrading from a lower-powered unit to see if this Simpson 4000 PSI pressure washer can help me work more efficiently.
- Plenty of power to do most any job
- Adjustable GPM lets you dial in the water flow you need for the application
- Engine and pump are easily accessible with an open-frame design
- Longer wand helps tall people like me not have to bend down as much
- Swiveling secondary handle is a big help in maintaining control
- Solution inductor position keeps detergents from entering the pump
- Honda commercial engine
- AAA industrial triplex pump
- Compact frame takes up little space on your trailer and shop
- Good value at this performance level
- While durable, the hose is very stiff
- Low handle is a bit awkward
Check out our best pressure washer article to see our top picks
Simpson Pro 4000 PSI Pressure Washer
As a professional model, I expected to find high-end components on this Simpson 4000 PSI pressure washer, and the PS60918 doesn’t disappoint.
The source of its power is the CARB-compliant Honda GX270 commercial engine. Honda GX engines enjoy a near-legendary reputation for longevity and reliability for good reason. With a good maintenance plan, this engine will last for years, even with daily use.
Starting is a manual process with a pull cord.
The open-frame design of the machine keeps the engine very easy to access. Getting to areas you frequently access, such as the oil reservoir, is simple.
The pump choice is a quick way to judge the difference between professional and residential pressure washers. Pro models use a triplex pump while the lighter-duty models typically have an axial cam pump.
Simpson turns to a AAA triplex pump to convert the engine’s power into water pressure. Paired with that Honda GX engine, the main components of this Simpson 4000 PSI pressure washer are clearly ready for heavy-duty use.
Here’s you’ll find a water flow valve for when you want to adjust it and the solution induction point. I really like that it pulls your detergents in after the pump so your solution of choice doesn’t go through it.
The way Simpson designed the frame and orientation, the pump is highly accessible. It makes it very easy to access for hose connections, maintenance, and replacement when the time comes.
Water pressure is a big part of any pressure washer’s cleaning potential. At 4000 PSI, the Simpson PS60918 is one of the most powerful for its size.
It blasts that pressure with up to 3.5 GPM. Having the combination of high pressure to loosen grime and high flow to put more water on your surface works to clean at much faster rates.
Take the paint prep and concrete cleaning I was working on as an example. With my 3100 PSI, 2.5 gallon model, I have to work closer to the surface and with a narrower nozzle to do the job.
The greater power and flow coming from my Simpson unit let me use a wider nozzle. Even though the actual cleaning force at the surface might be the same, I’m hitting a wider area and moving through the job much faster.
You get a Monster 3/8-inch, 50-foot hose with the pressure washer. Its braided construction is highly durable, but it’s also stiffer than other hoses. Your hose management is a little tougher because of it. If you’re like me, the extra durability is worth it.
There’s also a more substantial wand to go with it. It’s longer, which I greatly appreciate at my height. Beyond keeping me from bending as much, it’s also helpful for reaching vertical and overhead surfaces.
There’s a swiveling side handle that’s incredibly helpful in maintaining control and working in less than ideal spots.
5 nozzles come in the box: 0º, 15º, 25º, 40º, and soap. Like most pressure washers, you push these into the plate between the frame bars.
Additional Field Notes
The smaller open-frame design of this model has pros and cons of its own. On one hand, the lower handle can make it a bit awkward to roll around for tall guys, even with its 13-inch pneumatic wheels.
On the other hand, it’s so easy to access components, transport, and store, that it’s worth putting up with the low handle.
You should note that the hose and wand holders aren’t really designed to hold tight. They’ll definitely move around and come off while you’re driving to the job, so plan on using them for storage only.
At $899, this Simpson 4000 PSI pressure washer isn’t cheap. However, the quality of the components and its performance makes it worth budgeting for.
When you look at competitive models in the same pressure and water flow range, Simpson comes in less expensive, making its value proposition very good.
The Bottom Line
If you’ve been using a mid-range pressure washer, give the Simpson PS60918 a shot. Its performance boost over lower-powered options will legitimately save you time, making you more productive and profitable. And with its lower price tag, it pays for itself more quickly than other brands.
Feature Set (From the Manufacturer)
- 4000 PSI @ 3.5 GPM
- HONDA GX270 commercial engine
- AAA Industrial triplex pump
- Monster hose 3/8″ x 50′ is non-marring, kink and abrasion resistant and equipped with quick connect
- Ergonomic spray gun designed for comfort and control
- 5 Quick connect nozzle tips: 0°, 15°, 25°, 40° and Soap
- Welded construction steel frame
- 13″ Premium pneumatic tires
Simpson 4000 PSI Pressure Washer Specifications
- Model: Simpson Pro PS60918
- PSI: 4000 PSI
- GPM: 3.5 GPM
- Engine: Honda GX270
- Pump: AAA industrial triplex pump
- Pump/Hose Connection: Quick connect
- Hose: Monster Hose 3/8″ x 50′ steel-braided hose
- Gun/Hose Connection: Quick connect
- Wand: 31″ steel with quick connect and threaded M22 connection
- Nozzles: 0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, and Soap
- Frame: Welded steel construction frame
- Tires: 13″ premium pneumatic
- Warranty: 3-year commercial engine warranty; 5-year limited pump warranty; 10-year limited frame warranty; 90-day limited accessory warranty
- Price: $899
For more information about this Simpson 4000 PSI Pressure Washer, click here.