Lithium-ion technology is reaching the point where nearly every major brand has a battery-powered lawn mower to offer with varying levels of features to choose from. Some of the traditional Pro brands have taken a little longer to brings their models to market, but they’re here. Let’s take a look at what the Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower has to offer.
- Rear wheel drive: The namesake feature on the Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower takes shape in the form of rear wheel drive. That’s a bit more helpful than front wheel if you have to mow up slopes. A possible downside here might be the speed. At 2.8 MPH max, users with longer legs – like me – may find they have to slow down their natural stride.
- 40V power source: There are a ton of voltages to choose from out there, but if you’re looking to handle your general maintenance cuts, 40 volts will get it done pretty easily. The kit comes with 2 batteries and the mower uses one at a time without forcing you to switch from a storage to active position.
- Brushless motor: Given the load you’re asking the motor to maintain in a lawn mower, the Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower has to have a brushless motor and does.
- SavE mode: Most battery-powered lawn mowers already have the ability to electronically boost the power when you mow thick grass. Husqvarna takes it a step further with the SavE mode feature you see on most all their battery OPE. This runs the mower at a lower than normal RPM until it feels the need to kick things up.
- 3-in-1 design: Side discharge, mulch, bag – is it too much to ask for all three options? Husqvarna doesn’t think so.
- 21″ steel deck: 21″ gives you just a little more cutting swath than most. The steel deck makes things interesting. Here in Florida, it’s tough enough to resist the sugar sand that’s everywhere, but it adds weight over plastic decks. Since it’s a self-propelled model, steel is the way to go.
- Single point height adjustment: Almost no one makes you use a 2- or 4-point height adjustment on the wheels anymore. Husqvarna follows the current trend with a 7-position single point adjustment that covers 0.98″ to 2.95″.
Pricing and Placement
The Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower will set you back $399 as a bare tool, but most users will likely need the $599 two-battery kit. That puts it up there with names like EGO that have a solid reputation in the space. The feature set is pretty solid so it seems like a fair price for what you get. The reality of that will depend on the experience of using it – mainly if it has the endurance to get your yard cut on one set of batteries.
Husqvarna makes OPE for both homeowners and commercial Pros and this one looks like it fits mainly in the homeowner category. Though the build looks like it’s solid, there doesn’t seem to be an attempt to take advantage of Husqvarna’s high-capacity backpack batteries that would give it the kind of runtime you need to supplement primary professional mowers.
Want to see how the Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower does on a typical lawn? Head over to OPE Reviews to see what Frank McCaulley discovered in his review!
Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Key Features
- Powerful brushless motor provides the efficiency and durability to get the job done; starts easily with simple push-button starting
- No gas, no engine noise, no direct emissions
- Intuitive keypad with battery meter and savE mode, that maximizes run time by allowing the motor to reduce power for light duty tasks
- Durable steel cutting deck features 3-in-1 blade design for mulch, collection and discharge capability
- Battery fits all 100 Series handheld machines, which allows you to quickly switch the same battery between a trimmer, blower, chainsaw, lawn mower, and hedge trimmer so you can keep working; designed for demanding, long-lasting use
- Ergonomic handle easily adjusts in two different heights to keep your hands and wrists comfortable during operation
- Rear wheel drive provides improved traction on hilly or rough terrain along with high rear wheels for maximum maneuverability
- Single point cutting height adjustment for quick and easy adjustment of the grass cutting height
- The low noise provides a comfortable work situation and low disturbance for others
Husqvarna 40V Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Specifications
- Model: Husqvarna LE 221R
- Battery Voltage: 40-volt max
- Cut Width: 21″
- Mulching Capability: Yes
- Discharge Location: Side
- Start Type: Push button start
- Drive Type: Rear wheel drive
- Cutting Height: 0.98″ – 2.95″ (7 positions)
- Front Wheel Size: 8″
- Rear Wheel Size: 11″
- Cutting Range/Yard Size: 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre
- Handle Adjustments: 2
- Weight: 72.9 lbs.
- Includes: Bagger, 2 batteries, charger
- Warranty 3 years limited
- Price: $599.95 ($399 bare)