Ridgid Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander Video Review
Ridgid decided to bust through the cordless barrier with their Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander. The performance and feature set is there, but runtime is a limiting factor for Pros.
Ridgid and Ryobi (both TTI companies) decided to bust through the cordless barrier when it comes to belt sanders. The Ridgid Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander runs on their 18V platform and, obviously, sports a brushless motor. It takes advantage of a 3 x 18-inch belt and a variable 400 – 935 FPM belt rate to remove material quickly. But is it a case of too little, too soon?
As a supplementary tool for quick one off or punch list jobs, it fits in your Ridgid cordless arsenal well. It’s not going to be a primary tool for Pros, but it can be for the serious DIYer or Prosumer. Like you’d expect, it’s the runtime that limits it. We’ve seen tests claim anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes on one battery, and I was able to run it for 13 minutes, 40 seconds in a real world sanding test.
All the basic features you need on a belt sander are here including a three-position pommel, lock on button, belt tracking knob, and easy belt removal. It even does a pretty solid job of dust collection.
Right now, you can snag the Ridgid Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander at the Home Depot as a bare tool for $149, but they also have a kit with the compact battery and charger for the same price, though it’s out of stock right now.
There’s a lot more to talk about with the features and performance of this sander. Be sure to watch the video or check out our written review for the full details!
Ridgid Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander Key Features
- Airguard technology collects up to 90% of dust for a cleaner work area
- Brushless motor technology delivers more run-time, more power and longer motor life than brushed motors
- Variable speed dial match the speed of the sander with the speciﬁc application
- Tool-free belt release for quick and easy belt changes
- Automatic belt tracking tool automatically adjusts belt to center plate for straight alignment
- Adjustable pommel for ease of use during different applications
- Integrated vac adaptor fits standard 1-1/4 in. hose for cleaner, dust-free work environment
- Flat face allows for sanding flush to a vertical surface
- Lifetime service agreement eligible
Ridgid Gen5X Brushless Belt Sander Specifications
- Model: Ridgid R86065SB
- Power Source: Ridgid 18V battery pack
- Minimum speed: 400 FPM
- Maximum speed: 935 FPM
- Belt size: 3″x 18″
- Switch Type: Trigger
- Variable Speed: Dial
- Dust Collection Method: 1.5″ Dust Port
- Depth: 12″
- Height: 7.5″
- Width: 6.375″
- Weight: 6.3 lbs
- Warranty: Lifetime Service Agreement
- Price: $149