Ridgid Gen5X SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer
Ridgid recently introduced an addition to the Gen5X line with the Ridgid Gen5X SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer. This 7/8-inch rotary hammer features the company’s Extreme Vibration Reduction, a mechanical clutch, a variable position chisel, an auxiliary handle, tool-free adjustment depth gauge, Hex Grip overmold, 1.8 foot-pounds of impact energy up to 4,200 BPM, and 3 modes including hammer, drill, and chisel. It’s also backed by the Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement.
Be sure to read the manual – Ridgid does let you know there’s a break in period of about 5 hours before the rotary hammer really finds its stride. With it being cold outside in most of the country (it’s 80 here in Central Florida today), be aware that it could take a few seconds to a couple of minutes for the hammer to warm up.
The Ridgid Gen5X SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer came out with very little fanfare, though initial user reviews have been very positive. Out of 22 reviews on Home Depot’s website, 21 gave it 5 stars and the other gave it 4. Not a bad intro to the World of Concrete, Ridgid!
The 7/8-inch capacity is a little smaller than most of the other names out there. They’re typically running 1-inch or 1-1/8 inch capacity. However, 1.8 foot pounds of impact energy is on par with what you’re getting from some of the other Pro brands. You even get a mechanical clutch to reduce bind up injuries.
Here’s where it gets interesting for the Ridgid naysayers out there – this model specs out similar to Milwaukee’s 2605 M18 7/8-Inch Rotary Hammer. It has a slightly lower impact rate (4200 BPM to 4800 BPM) but better impact energy (1.8 foot pounds to 1.4 foot pounds). No load speed and even weight are dead even. Ridgid may not be at the top of the performance charts, but they’re in an awfully good position balancing Pro performance and value.
The question remaining for me is whether Ridgid will see enough success to bring a brushless model out. It seems like the logical next step, but Ridgid hasn’t exactly been known for their concrete tools… so far.
Ridgid Gen5X SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer Features
- Extreme vibration reduction minimizes tool vibration for greater comfort, less user fatigue, and increased productivity
- 3 mode selector rotary hammer, drilling and chisel only model for versatility on the Jobsite
- Mechanical clutch minimizes torque pull if the bit binds, helps protect both user and motor
- Variable position chisel stops easily adjust chisel to work in any orientation
- Auxiliary handle with adjustable depth gauge rotating handle that locks in any orientation, with a tool-free adjustable depth gauge
- Hex Grip micro texture grip-enhancing micro texture for maximum user comfort
Ridgid Gen5X SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer Specifications
- Model: Ridgid R86710B
- Price: $249
- Capacity: 7/8-inch
- Impact Energy: 1.8 ft.-lbs/2.5 Joules
- Impact Rate: 0-4,200 BPM
- Weight: 6.2 lbs.
- Chuck: SDS-Plus