Hypertherm Plasma Cutter PowerMax45 XP
Using certain kind of tools earns you a level of credibility that makes people part like the Red Sea and give you the best seat in the bar. A plasma cutter is one of those tools. If you’re in the market for a new one, consider if the Powermax 45 XP Hypertherm Plasma Cutter has what it takes to get the job done for you.
Where it Fits
This is a 45-amp plasma cutter that gives you the ability to cut through 5/8″ mild or stainless steel and aluminum. You can dial it down all the way to 10 amps for marking applications if you need to.
On the size end of things, you’re looking at pretty small footprint – 17.4″ deep x 6.8″ wide x 14.1″ high. Including the 20′ torch, you’re looking at 33 pounds in the weight department. That puts it pretty high on the portability scale for this class of tool.
One of the other major points that comes into play is the ease of use. Your air supply, torch, and ground lead lock in place quickly. Then just turn the power on and adjust the dial to the amperage you’re looking for. You can press a button to choose gouging or cutting applications and there’s an automatic air regulator.
I like this model in a few different places. First of all, for portable use or shops that don’t work with material much more than 1/2″ thick, it’s a win. It makes a nice lightweight supplement for larger plasma cutters. Lastly, I love this Hypertherm plasma cutter for education purposes, whether it’s at a trade school or to train an apprentice. The simplicity makes it easy to focus on the cutting or gauging technique instead of having a ton of set up and controls to fiddle with.
Want to Know More?
Tim Johnson at Shop Tool Reviews has a full video review and ratings over on his site. Head over there to see some of the ways he put it to the test and what his overall thoughts are on how the Hypertherm Plasma Cutter performs in its PowerMax45 XP form.
Hypertherm Plasma Cutter Key Features
- One of our most compact and lightweight systems, the Powermax45 XP is the ideal portable plasma cutter for a 16 mm (5/8″) rated cutting system
- Patented drag-cutting technology makes the Powermax45 XP easy to use – even for first-time operators
- Smart Sense™ technology ensures that air pressure is always correctly set
Hypertherm Plasma Cutter Specifications
- Input voltages: CSA 200 – 240 V, 1-PH, 50-60 Hz; 480 V, 3-PH
- Output current: 10–45 A
- Rated output voltage 145 VDC
- Duty cycle: @ 40° C (104° F) CSA
- 50% @ 45 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
- 60% @ 41 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
- 100% @ 32 A, 200 – 240 V, 1-PH
- 50% @ 45 A, 480 V, 3-PH
- 60% @ 41 A, 480 V, 3-PH
- 100% @ 32 A, 480 V, 3-PH
- Dimensions with handles: 17.4″ D; 6.8″ W; 14.1″ H
- Weight with 20′ torch: 33 lbs.
- Recommended gas inlet flow rate / pressure: 400 scfh @ 90 psi
- Power supply type: Inverter – IGBT
- Engine drive requirement: 10 kW for full 45 A output
- Warranty: 3-year/1-Year (Power Supply/Torch)
- MSRP: $2,270
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $1,874.84
- Price: $1,168.99Was: $1,299.99
- Price: $2,199.00
- Price: $1,795.00