Tim Johnson over at OPE Reviews just wrapped up a ton of testing to find the best gas string trimmer for Pros and for those of you just looking to maintain your property. With 10 models in the shootout, there’s a balance of 2-stroke and 4-stroke models to choose from.
Best Gas String Trimmer Starting Lineup
- ECHO – SRM-2620T
- Honda – HHT35SLTA – 4-cycle
- Husqvarna – 525LST
- Makita – EM2650LH – 4-cycle
- Ryobi – RY253SS
- Ryobi – RY4CSS – 4-cycle
- Shindaiwa – T262
- Stihl – FS 91 R – 4-mix – 4-cycle running premix (oil and gas)
- Tanaka – TCG27EBSP
- Troy-Bilt – TB6044 XP – 4-cycle
We’ve got a quick breakdown of how things shake out, but you’ll want to check out the Best Weedeater Shootout for all the details, photos, and graphs.
The cutting swath on our group ranges from Makita’s 16″ to a massive 20″ on the Shindaiwa with the others falling somewhere in between.
Fiddling with the choke doesn’t have to be part of the starting process these days. It may not be a requirement to win the title of “Best Gas String Trimmer,” but it’s an awfully handy feature to have.
Auto Choke Models
Fuel Efficiency and Runtime
Do you want to run longer or use the least amount of fuel? Yes. Both. It’d be nice, but the reality you’ll need to choose between the two in this case.
Top Fuel Efficiency on 8 oz. of Fuel
- Ryobi 4-stroke (23:29)
- Ryobi 2-stroke (23:20)
- Troy-Bilt (22:35)
Top Runtime on a Full Tank
- Stihl (1:02:37)
- Makita (54:41)
- Shindaiwa (54:20)
String trimmers are well-known for their ability to strain your back, so the less weight, the better.
Lightest Weights with Fuel and Fluids
- Husqvarna (12.3 lbs)
- Echo (12.6 lbs)
- Makita (12.6 lbs)
Whether you’re protecting your own hearing or being mindful of the neighbors, you need to be aware of the noise you’re producing.
Lowest Noise Levels (at 50′ and User’s ear)
- Honda (74/96 dB(A))
- Tanaka (74/97 dB(A))
- Ryobi 2-stroke and 4-stroke (76/97 dB(A))
Tim cut through thick and thin bahiagrass to see what kind of cutting characteristics each gas string trimmer has.
Top Thin Grass Cutting Speeds (Average 5′ Square)
- Echo (7.8 seconds)
- Makita (8.0 seconds)
- Shindaiwa (8.4 seconds)
Top Thick Grass Cutting Speeds (Average 5′ Square)
- Husqvarna (10.9 seconds)
- Echo (11.2 seconds)
- Honda (12.8 seconds)
Price and Value
The cheapest price isn’t always the best value. A tool that’s inexpensive but can’t get the job done is worthless. Getting the most bang for every hard-earned buck is always a worthy goal.
The warranty you get with your gas string trimmer depends on if you’re using it as a consumer or commercially as a Pro.
- Tanaka (7 years consumer, 2 years commercial)
- Echo (5 years consumer, 2 years commercial)
- Shindaiwa (5 years consumer, 2 years commercial)
Best Gas String Trimmer Final Rankings
- 10th Place, 63.0 points – Troy-Bilt TB6044XP
- 9th Place, 72.3 points – Tanaka TCG27EBSP (Get it online at Amazon)
- 8th Place, 78.3 points – Ryobi RY4CSS
- 7th Place, 80.6 points – Ryobi RY253SS
- 6th Place, 81.3 points – Honda HHT35SLTA
- 5th Place, 84.3 points – Shindaiwa T262 (Get it online at Amazon)
- 4th Place, 87.9 points – Stihl FS91R
- 3rd Place, 89.0 points – Husqvarna 525LST
- 2nd Place, 90.7 points – Echo SRM-2620T
The Best Gas String Trimmer
- 1st Place, 90.8 points – Makita EM2650LH
Editor’s Note: This article originally published on July 6, 2018.