CAT S62 Has the Most Advanced Thermal Imaging Available in a Smartphone
The CAT S62 Pro has come to the US market, finally. As the smartphone with the most advanced thermal imaging available, we consider this big news. Add to that the legendary durability that CAT phones have come to be known for, and we’ve got a phone that we can’t wait to get our grubby mitts all over.
What’s the Big Deal?
Flir Thermal Imaging Technology
The CAT S62 Pro has quite a bit going for it, but we’ll start with the super obvious: thermal imaging. This is the third generation of CAT phones that includes thermal imaging, and it sounds like the company has really gotten into the swing of things.
The CAT S62 Pro displays a high sensitivity to minute temperature differences, offering a 4x increase to the number of thermal pixels over the last edition. For the first time, you can access FLIR Systems VividIR image processing, enhanced MSX (Multi-Spectral Dynamic Imaging), and visible-to-thermal alpha blending technologies integrated into the phone. It offers 160 x 120 resolution, which is pretty solid for a compact imager. In fact, it matches that of the FLIR C5 Compact Thermal Camera but you get a whole smartphone for free…
This software lets you run analytic and reporting features that you’d generally only find on higher-end, dedicated thermal imagers. Combined with the phone’s connectivity, you can use these features to troubleshoot or share images in realtime.
It also features isotherm alarming for monitoring custom temperature ranges between -4ºF and 752ºF. This helps with specialized work, like monitoring machinery temperatures, as well as keeping tabs on when the grill has reached temperature.
By providing FLIR Systems’ latest Lepton thermal sensor for the Cat S62 Pro, we are continuing a tradition of innovation that now spans three generations of Cat phones to help professionals perform work more quickly and accurately. Integrating the MyFLIR Pro app also provides users advanced thermography features for the first time on a smartphone, maximizing the utility of seeing and detecting heat energy invisible to the naked eye.Paul Clayton, General Manager, Components Business at FLIR
CAT designed the S62 Pro to stand up to jobsite abuse without the need for a case. It surpasses the requirements to achieve Ingress Protection ratings of IP68 and IP69 and MIL SPEC 810H. As a fully waterproof and submergible phone, you can scrub away at it with soaps and disinfectants. It is bleach and chemical resistant as well, making it sanitizer-friendly in these Covid times.
CAT has put the S62 Pro through rigorous durability testing as well. With Corning’s Gorilla Glass 6 and a rubberized TPU back, the S62 Pro has survived repeated drop tests from 6 ft. onto steel, with multiple drops onto every side and corner. It can also survive extreme temperature changes and extreme vibrations, and it can do it without an actual case.
Other CAT S62 Pro Smart Phone Features
The Cat S62 Pro Smartphone comes with Android 10 with a guaranteed upgrade to Android 11 when it releases. The phone uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660, 2.0GHz octa-core processor. It also comes with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of ROM, both of which can be expanded with microSD cards.
It features a 5.7″ FHD+ 18×9 display that you can use with wet or gloved fingers. A 12MP rear camera and 8MP front camera means that not only can you take great IR pictures on the job, but also gorgeous selfies when not on the clock.
It also features a programmable shortcut key which is useful for keybinding to Push to Talk or SOS (a lone worker app), or for easily launching your flashlight or camera.
CAT S62 Pro Phone Pricing
Though the CAT S62 Pro phone has been available in Europe for some time now but has recently made the voyage over here to the States. You can now find the CAT S62 Pro at any number of retailers, including Amazon and Home Depot. It retails for $659.95 and comes with a 2-year warranty.
CAT SmartPhone Specs
- Model: CAT S62
- Networks: GSM, HSPA, and LTE
- Integrated FLIR thermal camera
- Lepton 3.5 professional-grade camera
- 1440 x 1080 HD output with VividIR
- MSX linear overlay from the visual camera
- Measurable temperature range of -4°F to 752°F
- Picks up heat and measures surface temperatures from a distance of up to 30m
- Scalable and movable regions of interest with ‘hottest’ and ‘coldest’ indicators
- Horizontal field of vision is expanded to 57 degrees to capture more of the scene
- 9 thermal color palettes to choose from depending on the situation
- PDF reporting
- Powerful 4,000mAh battery (supports fast charging)
- Water / Dust proof (IP68 & IP69), Drop tested to 6 ft onto steel, MIL SPEC 810H, Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Waterproof Smartphone – up to 5 ft for 35 minutes
- Fully waterproof and submergible – Scrub with soaps and disinfectants
- Bleach resistant – Bleach wipe test with 3000 cycles
- Chemical resistant – Alcohol abrasion test with 100 cycles, real world chemical susceptibility, sanitizer friendly
- No case required
- Super Bright 5.7″ FHD+ 18×9 display optimized for outdoor use with a touchscreen that can be used with wet fingers or when wearing gloves
- Android 10 (with upgrade to 11)
- 6GB RAM, 128GB ROM, Expandable Storage (microSD)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660, 2.0GHz octa-core processor
- 12MP Sony dual-pixel rear camera, 8MP front camera
- LTE Cat 13, VoLTE, VoWiFi, ViLTE
- Hardwearing, non-slip rubberized TPU back
- Programmable Shortcut Key useful for Push to Talk (PTT), SOS (Lone worker app), or to easily launch its flashlight or camera
- Bluetooth 5.0, NFC
- Curated apps and content catalogue
- Dual and single SIM variants – Nano SIM + microSD™ (separate microSD and SIM slots)
- Comprehensive 2-year warranty
- Android Enterprise Ready
- Security updates cover for 3 years (Comprising two years of quarterly security maintenance releases, plus one year of emergency security maintenance releases)
- Zero-touch support
- Price: $659.95