Metabo recently introduced the unique Metabo Cordless 2-in-1 Tapping Tool and Drill Driver. Powered by Metabo’s brushless motor and LiHD battery system with Ultra-M technology, the tool features a four-sided quick tapping chuck that allows for both drilling and tapping accessories. Tapping mode automatically changes the rotation of the chuck and produces a threaded hole. The impulse mode can start holes on smooth metal surfaces and easily remove damaged screws.
The Metabo GB 18 LTX BL Q I 2-in-1 tool was a finalist to this year’s Pro Tool Innovation Awards in the Cordless Tools category. Tool and accessory winners were judged by panel of tool professionals with winners being selected based on their level of innovation as applied to everything from technology and design to value.
“In the past, users had to toggle between forward and reverse to tap a hole, often resulting in an uneven hole while putting undue stress on the machine’s motor and/or clutch. But our new tapper effortlessly reverses itself as soon as you pull back on the machine, thus eliminating the need to reverse the machine, assuring a quick, clean and precise hole.”
– Antoine Derche’, Cordless Product Manager for Metabo
Metabo Cordless 2-in-1 Tapping Tool and Drill Driver Key Features
- Quick change of tool holder and bits
- Metabo brushless motor
- Selectable “impulse” mode for removal of damaged screws and for spot-drilling on smooth surfaces
- Precision Stop, electronic torque control
- Overload protection
- Spindle with hexagonal recess for screwdriver bits for working without chuck
- Integrated working light
- Robust die cast aluminium gear housing
- Belt hook and bit holder, can be fixed either on the right or left side
- Battery packs with capacity display
- 3-year warranty on battery packs thanks to the combined elements of Ultra-M technology
- Model: Metabo GB 18 LTX BL Q I
- Power Source: Metabo 18 V Battery
- Maximum torque (Soft): 531 in-lbs
- Maximum torque (Hard): 1062 in-lbs
- Adjustable Torque: 9 – 177 in-lbs
- Drill Capacity (Steel): 1/2″
- Drilling Capacity (Soft Wood): 2-1/2″
- No Load Speed: 0 – 600 / 0 – 2050 RPM
- Chuck Capacity: 1/2 “
- Weight (including battery pack): 4.8 lbs
Get all your Metabo Cordless Tools from our friends at Acme Tools!
Not everyone has to drill and tap, but for those that do, the Metabo Cordless 2-in-1 Tapping Tool and Drill Driver saves the step of having to reverse your drill before pulling the combination bit back. Fewer steps always means smoother operation with a reduced chance of mistakes.
It shouldn’t be missed that this is more than a niche tool for drilling and tapping. 1,062 inch pounds of hard torque puts Metabo in an elite category with other 1,000+ torque drills. Additionally, Metabo’s LiHD batteries are proving to be superior to most of their competition, offering greater power in tools that demand it and greater run time in those that don’t.
We’re still waiting on an official retail price as the tapping drill/driver gets closer to launch, so keep your eyes open for when it is announced. If you don’t need the tapping function, you can get the same power along with impulse mode in the Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I.