Makita Cordless Rear-Handle Circular Saw Video Review
What most people are wondering is whether or not the Makita 18V X2 Brushless Rear-Handle Circular Saw has the power to back up the hype. It does and is in another league compared to most cordless circular saws.
Get it Online
The Makita Cordless Rear-Handle Circular Saw was introduced back in February with great fanfare at World of Concrete. It hit the market in April and we’ve had plenty of time to use – and put it up against 15 other cordless circular saws in a shootout.
What’s different about this cordless circular saw is that it looks like a worm drive, but it’s not really a worm drive. It’s not just a rear-handle, blade left circular saw, either. Its helical gearing comes together at a 45-degree angle to make it closer to a worm drive than a sidewinder.
It’s definitely heavier than most any sidewinder, cordless or corded. However, it’s also lighter than most corded worm drives. Part of the weight is due to the design – the same reason that corded worm drives are heavier than sidewinders. It’s also due in part to the fact that this on Makita’s LXT 18V X2 platform. So you’ll need two Makita 18V batteries to run the saw.
But tech speak aside, what matters is the performance of the saw. So kick back and check out our video review of the Makita Cordless Rear-Handle Saw. Or if video isn’t your thing, take a look at our full written review.
Makita Cordless Rear-Handle Circular Saw Manufacturer’s Key Features
- Powered by two LXT batteries; X2 LXT technology delivers more power, speed and run time without the hassles of a cord
- Makita built electronically controlled BL Motor delivers 5,100 RPM for maximum performance and 50% longer run time per charge
- The BL Brushless Motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the BL Motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Automatic Speed Change technology adjusts cutting speed and torque during cut for optimum performance
- X2 LXT technology delivers up to 558 cross-cuts per charge in 2×4 SPF lumber and up to 291 cross-cuts per charge in 2×10 SPF lumber using the two 5.0Ah batteries
- Large 2-9/16” cutting capacity at 90°; cuts 3X material in a single pass
- Electric brake for maximum productivity
- 0°- 53° bevel capacity with positive stops at 22.5°, 45°, and 53°
- Die-cast magnesium base and blade guard along with a die-cast aluminum blade cover and motor housing provide a lightweight, durable design
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 17-1/2″ long
- Weighs only 12.4 lbs. with batteries for reduced operator fatigue
- Retractable, extra-wide tool hook secures the tool when not in use
- Built-in tether notch (tether sold separately)
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
- 3-stage L.E.D. gauges on the tool indicate battery charge levels
- Dual Port Rapid Optimum Charger charges two batteries at the same time
- Two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Batteries deliver the power and performance of a corded saw without leaving the 18V LXT platform
Makita Cordless Rear-Handle Circular Saw Specifications
- Model number: Makita XSR01Z (Bare), Makita XSR01PT (Kit)
- Power Source: (2) Makita 18V LXT battery packs
- Max Cutting Depth: 2-9/16-inch cutting capacity at 90 degrees
- Bevel Capacity: 0 to 53-degree bevel with positive stops at 22.5 and 45 degrees
- Magnesium base and blade guard
- Electric brake
- Built-in tether notch
- Rafter Hook
- No Load Speed: 5100 RPM
- Price: $199 (bare), $359 (kit with 5.0 AH batteries)