Now that Ryobi has officially announced its new 18V dual battery miter saw, it seems that the AEG model is imminent. For the US launch, the Ridgid 18V Brushless 10-Inch Miter Saw will be renamed as it always is. AEG is simply the Australian brand of the same tools. Often, taking a look at their website gives us insight into what’s coming next for the popular Home Depot exclusive brand.
So what should you expect?
A 10-inch blade and brushless motor are the easy ones to pick out. If all goes according to plan, we’ll see a dual bevel function that’s capable of 45 degrees to the left and right. Mitering goes both ways as well with 45 degrees to the right and 50 degrees left. No-load speed will be 3900 RPM – a touch lower than Ryobi, but presumably with more power. To compare that on a more Pro level, that’s also a touch lower than Milwaukee’s 4000 RPM on the M18 Fuel Miter Saw. 100 less RPM isn’t a big deal, especially if they channel extra power to the torque side.
The big technology making this happen is the use of two batteries. Like Makita and Ryobi, the Ridgid 18V Brushless 10-Inch Miter Saw connects two 18V batteries via series connection to bring the power up to 36V. Don’t expect Ridgid to stop with one tool on this dual-battery system. It opens up plenty of possibilities including a table saw down the road.
When the Ridgid 18V Brushless 10-Inch Miter Saw makes it to the US, it will make the fifth full-size cordless miter saw with 10-inch models from Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Makita along with DeWalt’s 12-inch FlexVolt. Milwaukee is the only brand to stick with a single battery 18V model. The other four all make use of a dual-battery system.
AEG’s model currently runs $799 in Australian currency which converts to about $600 for us. It comes as a kit with 2 batteries and a charger. The Australian kit comes with 6.0 amp hour batteries – something else to look forward to.
Ridgid 18V Brushless 10-inch Miter Saw Specifications
If and when the AEG model makes it across the pond to US shores, this is what we expect to see for specifications.
- Power Source: 2 x Ridgid 18V batteries
- Blade Diameter: 10 inches
- No Load Speed: 3900 RPM
- Bevel: 45 degrees left and right
- Miter: 45 degrees right, 50 degrees left
- Max Cross Cut: 12″
- Max Cut Height: 3.6″
- Weight: 39.7 lbs
- Price: $600
- Warranty: Lifetime Service Agreement
Ridgid 18V Brushless 10-Inch Miter Saw Key Features
Likewise, here is the feature list from AEG that we expect to mirror the Ridgid model.
- DUAL 18V system allows the user the flexibility of using 1 x 18V battery or 2 x 18V in parallel for extended runtime and extra power
- Full size 254mm blade produces 91mm x 305mm (3.6″ x 12″) depth and cross-cut capacity
- 18V Brushless motor provides 3900rpm AC cutting performance and up to 600 cuts 90mm x 45mm (2×4) pine (with 2 x 6.0Ah battery)
- Dual bevel design – move the saw not the workpiece
- Mitre detent for all common angles with bypass option and lock
- LED and laser guide for precision cutting