Zircon Makes Big Advances in Stud Finding with SuperScan K3
Zircon has the next evolution in stud finding technology primed and ready to hit the jobsite any day now. Tuned to find wood studs while simultaneously filtering out all things metallic, the Zircon Superscan K3 Stud Finder virtually eliminates false positive stud indications to give you super accurate readings.
- Model: Zircon SuperScan K3
- Target Control Technology locates the center, edges, and direction of wood studs up to 3/4″ behind surfaces
- Virtually eliminates false positive readings
- LoLevel and MetalliWarning Indicators avoid false positives from metal, plumbing, PEX, and wiring
- Identifies “safe to drill” zones
- DeepScan Mode doubles the scan depth of wood and metal studs up to 1-1/2″
- Metal Scan Mode locates ferrous metal up to 3″ deep, and non-ferrous metal up to 1-1/2″ deep
- WireWarning Detection alerts you to live, unshielded AC wires up to 2″
Not Your Father’s Stud Finder
The Zircon SuperScan K3 Stud Finder has a pretty robust feature set that goes beyond what you find on a typical stud finder. It features four distinct modes of operation to uncover all the “secrets” hidden behind the walls you’re likely about to drill, cut, or otherwise delve into. The modes include Target Control, StudScan, DeepScan, and Metal Scan Modes.
Target Control Mode
Target Control Mode locates the center, edges, and direction of studs up to 3/4″ deep. Tuned specifically for wood, this mode avoids false positive readings by filtering out metallic objects like plumbing, conduit, straps, brackets, and ducts hiding behind the surface of a wall. You can use this mode in conjunction with the “Trust but Verify” technique to suss out spots that are safe to drill in.
StudScan (Default) Mode
When TC mode is off, the Zircon SuperScan K3 will operate in StudScan mode, indicating both wood and metal studs.
The SuperScan K3 also has what Zircon calls “LoLevel” and “MetalliWarning” indicators. These alerts sound off in the presence of deep, less dense false positives and metal targets. They are designed to reduce your chances of accidentally drilling into a piece of metal or plastic. A “WireWarning” indicator goes off when you come close to live and unshielded AC wiring up to 2″ deep, which ought to go a long way into keeping yourself from electrocution.
DeepScan Mode doubles the scanning depth of the stud finder to pick out wood and metal studs behind extra layers of drywall or paneling. It can detect studs up to 1-1/2″ deep.
Metal Scan Mode
Metal Scan Mode lets you map out metal in walls as well, fleshing out the feature set even more. It helps you identify ferrous metal, like rebar, up to 3″ deep, and non-ferrous metal, like copper piping, up to 1-1/2″ deep.
Using the Zircon SuperScan K3
Operating the Zircon SuperScan K3 Stud Finder is simple. A 3-mode switch makes it easy to toggle the desired mode. A ColorTrip LCD display details the information in an easy-to-read, wide-angled format. Finally, the SpotLite Pointer shines on the surface being scanned when the K3 finds the center of a stud.
Pricing and Availability
The Zircon Superscan K3 Stud Finder retails for $80.99 and should hit shelves soon. As a premium level product, that price seems in line with what we’d expect to see—and it should sell for less than retail. Look for it at your favorite retailers like Acme Tools and Amazon.
Zircon SuperScan K3 Stud Finder Specs
- Dimensions: 8 in. x 3.6 in. x 1.8 in. (204 mm x 92 mm x 47 mm)
- Weight: 10.7 oz. (304 g)
- Battery Type: 9V alkaline, required
- Position Accuracy: Up to a depth of ¾ in. (19 mm) typically, within 1⁄8 in. (3 mm)
- Target Control mode: up to ¾ in. (19 mm)
- StudScan mode: up to ¾ in. (19 mm)
- DeepScan mode: up to 1½ in. (38 mm)
- Metal Scan mode: up to 3 in. (75 mm) deep for ferrous metal and up to 1½ in. (13 mm) deep for non-ferrous metal
- WireWarning Position Accuracy: Typically, 120-230V at 50-60Hz within 6 in. (150 mm) of hot unshielded wire in drywall
- WireWarning Depth: Up to 2 in. (50 mm) deep
- Operating Temperature: 40° to 120°F (4° to 49°C)
- Storage Temperature: 20° to 140°F (-7° to 60°C)
- Humidity: 5-95% RH (non-condensing)
- Water Resistance: Splash and water-resistant, not waterproof
- Price: $80.99