I’ve likely told hundreds of people about using portable lithium jump starters instead of carrying traditional jumper cables. While the JomGand JQ2500 Jump Starter might have the oddest name, it still seems to hit on most of its cylinders…you see what I did there?
How the JomGand JQ2500 Power Jump Starter Works
The portable JomGand JQ2500 Jump Starter work by using its internal lithium-polymer batteries to supplement your vehicle battery when starting. Since the portable jump starter can discharge high current, it provides a nice assist to a battery that no longer outputs the required 12V under load. It works on vehicle engines up to 8L (gas) and 6L (diesel).
It also recharges via the integrated USB-C port in less than an hour. That makes it a rather handy power bank for use on the road—just don’t forget to recharge it!
The process for jump-starting a vehicle works as follows:
- Insert the jumper clips into the JQ2500. Then connect the Red and Black jumper cables to the corresponding battery terminals.
- Briefly press the Power button to wake up the JomGand jump starter.
- You should see a blinking green light and the parallel voltage should display on the face of the unit.
- Start your engine like you normally would. If it doesn’t start right away, you may want to wait a few minutes and try again.
- After the vehicle starts, remove the clamps. Press the Power button for ~2 seconds to power off the JQ2500 jump starter.
Force Start Mode
If you’re unable to jump start the battery due to excessively low voltage, the JomGand JQ2500 has one more trick up its sleeve. With everything connected, power off the unit. Then, hold down the power and Light buttons for 3 seconds. This places the unit in “Force Start” mode. It sends out voltage even though the system didn’t detect sufficient battery voltage on the vehicle.
Note: This necessarily disables several of the safety measures, so be very careful not to allow the jumper clamps to touch each other and ensure you have the proper clamps connected to the proper battery terminals. When you start the car, turn the unit off.
More JomGand JQ2500 Jump Starter Details
JomGand includes short-circuiting protection, overcurrent and overvoltage protection, and overload protection on the JQ2500 jumper. This should keep you from doing anything accidentally to damage either your vehicle or the jump starter. As we don’t do destructive testing, we avoided using the JQ2500 contrary to the instructions. Lithium-ion battery technology has advanced significantly, and most of these jump starters appear to use safer lithium-polymer blends that work reliably.
Other Handy Features
The USB-A output port on the JomGand JQ2500 Jump Starter can charge mobile phones and even laptops. It operates at either 5V/3A, 9V/2A, or 12V/1.5A (18W Max). Another The single USB-C port serves as the input charging port for the JomGand JQ2500, but can also output 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/5A (100W Max).
You can also recharge the unit from a 12V “cigarette lighter” port in your vehicle (once you have it up and running). JomGand even includes the adapter plug for that feature.
It is also equipped with a nice, bright LED flashlight that comes on when you press and hold the yellow multi-purpose button.
It includes both strobe and SOS functions that alternate when you press the button again after the flashlight turns on.
At $139.95, the JomGand JQ2500 Jump Starter should handily crank over most full-size trucks and passenger vehicles. We do wish it had a hard zippered storage case. The cardboard box it ships in won’t likely last long in your car or truck. We also would love to see thinner clamps to help them get into tighter spaces.
Aside from those small niggles, the JomGand JQ2500 jump starter should prove invaluable for anyone looking to revive a dead battery…solo.
- Model: JomGand JQ2500
- LED lighting modes: Flashlight/red strobe/red SOS
- Safety rating: ETL/CE/FCC/RoHS certified
- Peak current: 2500A
- Capacity: 18,000mAh
- Engine compatibility: Up to 8.0L gas/6.0L diesel
- 9 different protection system
- Power output: USB-A 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A (18W Max); USB-C 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/5A (100W Max)
- IP65 rated
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.7 x 3.5 x 1.4 in.
- Includes: Jump starter, jumper clamps, USB charging cable, user guide
- Price: $139.95