We have a full review of the Dremel Multi-Max Oscillating Tool which highlights this product in even greater detail. Dremel is well-known for their rotary tools, but the new Multi-Max oscillating tool may put a fresh smile on the face of those who ever wanted to plunge cut into a door jamb or easily remove nasty old caulk from around a sink or tub enclosure. The Multi-Max features multiple attachments that allow it to be used for cutting, grinding, sanding scraping and even grout removal. It’s the kind of tool that actually does something no other tool does, making difficult and otherwise messy jobs rather simple. This tool was part of our oscillating multi-tool shootout, so take a gander there if you want to see how it stacks up to the competition.
The tool fits easily in the hand, weighing just under 2 pounds, and has a convenient on/off switch that is reachable by the thumb. A variable speed control dial sites at the back of the device and allows you to set the oscillation rate anywhere between 10 and 21 thousand OPM (via a 10 position switch). Each designation on the variable speed dial adds anywhere from 1000 to 1500 OPMs to the speed. Higher speeds are for grout removal and cutting, while lower speeds are options for scraping and sanding with greater control.
Each blade or accessory comes with a QuickFit slot that engages 12 raised pins arranged around a central cutout that ensures a quick, accurate and secure fit to the tool. To swap out an accessory, you simply loosen the clamping screw with the provided hex wrench and then slide the accessory on and/or off. Re-tightening the clamping screw and blade washer ensures that everything will remain securely in place during use.
The retail kit package comes with the following:
- Dremel 1.5 amp Multi-Max oscillating tool
- Flexible scraper blade – MM610
- 3/4″ wood flush cut blade – MM440
- 3″ wood and drywall saw blade – MM450
- Hook and loop base plate pad – MM11
- 60, 120, and 240 grit paper – M70W
- Storage case
- Getting started booklet
The following accessories are also available:
- MM11 base plate for sanding (hook and loop)
- MM411 3/8-inch HCS (high carbon steel) wood flush cut blade
- MM440 3/4-inch HCS (high carbon steel) wood flush cut blade
- MM422 3/4-inch BIM (bi-metal) wood/metal flush cut blade
- MM450 3-inch HCS (high carbon steel) flat saw blade
- MM500 segmented 1/8-inch grout removal
- MM501 segmented 1/16-inch grout removal
- MM600 rigid scraper blade
- MM610 flexible scraper blade
- MM900 60 grit diamond paper
- MM70P sand paper
- MM70W detail sand paper
This is an amazingly cool tool in its own right, but if you’re looking for something with cordless lithium-ion battery technology, check out our review of the Dremel cordless Multi-Max. Still, for those who don’t mind a cord, at $99 this tool is hard to pass up.