Bosch has a line of hammer drill bits designed to last longer and drill faster, more precise holes in concrete with rebar. The Bosch Bulldog Xtreme Bits have a conical, 100% full-carbide tip with an upgraded variable flute design. The end result, Bosch claims, is an SDS-Plus bit that provides 25% more holes drills per charge and rounder holes for more precise anchoring.
Available in stores now, these bits range from $4 to $40 for single bits, depending on the size. They’re the natural choice for pairing with Bosch’s Bulldog line of cordless rotary hammers, like the GBH18V-26K24.
Drill Down on Bosch Bulldog Xtreme Bits
Bosch claims that their internal testing revealed that these new bits provide 4 times longer life in concrete with rebar than standard SDS-Plus bits. How? It all comes down to design.
To start, Bosch uses a 100% full-carbide tip and their proprietary diffusion-bonding technology with these SDS-Plus bits. Because Bosch’s diffusion-bonding uses high-heat, high-pressure welding, stronger bonds occur.
Read between the lines: Carbide is still tougher than concrete and rebar. The fact that Bosch uses a stronger weld system than most means that the carbide stays attached where it will do the most good for longer than many other bits on the market.
The conical tip on Bosch’s SDS-Plus rotary hammer bits helps with precision as well. This tip starts a rounder hole than standard bits, which helps with precise anchoring applications. These bits also include wear marks for additional accuracy. Those wear marks give you the confidence that you’re drilling an accurate hole diameter and lets you know when its time to replace the bit.
The Bosch Bulldog Xtreme Bits utilize a variable flute design. Four flutes transition to two flutes, which means faster dust removal.
Bosch has optimized these bits for the heavy-duty tasks SDS-Plus rotary hammers are called to do. The end result of all these design tweaks, Bosch claims, is a bit that allows the user to drill 25% more holes per charge. Of course, that greater drilling efficiency also makes corded tools work more efficiently, reducing strain on the motor over its life.
Bosch makes some pretty big claims about their bits. But Bosch has a solid reputation in the concrete industry for good reason. When they make a claim, they usually back it up on the job site. A design that allows for longer runtimes and more precision in applications that tend toward the destructive end of things, well, that sounds pretty good to us.
Want More Bosch Tools?
Bosch Core18V Battery
Bosch Table 1 Silica Dust Compliance
Bosch 18V Connected Grinder
Bosch Bulldog Xtreme Bits Benefits
- Diffusion bonding technology – provides stronger carbide bond for a durable, longest-lasting bit
- 100% full-carbide head – delivers 4X life in concrete with rebar and longer life in all masonry drilling
- Variable flute design – supplies efficient material removal for 25% more holes per charge
- Centric conical tip – results in rounder holes for precision-anchoring applications
- Wear mark – assures hole-diameter tolerance for anchoring
- Widest range – the Bulldog Xtreme line offers the widest range of full-head carbide bits
- Optimized for heavy-duty and cordless rotary hammers – fits tools with SDS-plus chucks
Bosch Bulldog Xtreme Bits Specs
- Model Number: HCFC2084 (pictured for this article)
- Max Operating Speed: 1300 RPM
- Diameter: 1/2″
- Flute Length: 10″
- Overall Length: 12″
- Useable Length: 10″
- MSRP: $10.03 (single bits range from ~ $4 to $40)