Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation
Sit-stand desks are moving into more and more areas. We have three of them at the Pro Tool Reviews headquarters where we make the magic happen. While I’m still holding out for mine (and making use of the ash table we build for Pro Tool Reviews Live in the meantime), my lovely Bride has been making good use of the Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation.
This one is a bit different from what we’re used to in the office. It’s a smaller model that can work in tighter spaces or supplement a larger desk space.
Let’s take a closer look at what the Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation has to offer in its smaller package.
- Manual Sit-Stand Functionality: Adjusts from a comfortable sitting position a few inches above your desktop to any position up to its maximum height.
- Phone/Tablet Storage Space: Allows you to store your phone or tablet upright to easily see who’s calling – or watch the latest PTR Live broadcast on YouTube when your boss isn’t looking. Actually, he might want to watch it with you. There’s a cord hole in the bottom in case you need to have your device plugged in while it’s there.
- Sits Directly on Your Existing Desk: No-mar pads on the bottom of the frame keep the workstation from sliding or messing up your desk. So even if you have a nice hardwood desk, there’s no fear in putting this on top of it.
- Beveled Front Edges: Aside from helping the style of the desk, the beveled front edge of the mouse/keyboard shelf make things much more comfortable for your wrists while working – especially in the sitting position.
- Wire Guides: If you’re using a mouse and keyboard that have wires, two holes behind the shelf make managing the cords easier and with a more organized look.
Additional Feature Notes
The full height on top of a standard desk is still an inch or two short of optimal for my 6’2″ frame, but it’s still comfortable. If you’re taller than that, you might want to try one before you buy it just to make sure.
The phone/tablet storage area is really handy. But it’s not just electronics that need to be in front of your face. Paper is also fair game. While it’s great for holding a folder or paper straight up, it won’t fit in its landscape (horizontal) orientation. I’d like to see it be wide enough to accommodate that.
At just 31″ wide and 21″ deep, the Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation might not fulfill your dreams of a full-size sit-stand desk. What it will do is make use of tighter spaces, but that doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant when you have room to spare.
The obvious benefit is that the desk gets you out of your chair – that’s the whole reason you’re looking at a sit-stand in the first place.
For those of us that tend to keep a lot more of our work around us, lifting the workstation up allows you to rise above the clutter that’s collecting and focus on the task at hand. Everything else just stays on the desk and out of the way. It also opens up some additional space below it that you normally can’t use because your mouse, keyboard, and monitor(s) are in the way.
On the other side of the coin, if you need that paperwork to be on the same level as your workspace so you can reference it easily while you work on the computer, you will probably want a bigger model.
Using the Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation
Setup is crazy-simple. All you have to do is install the left and right frame covers and they just set in place with a double-sided stick pad.
Ergotron suggests you stick with one monitor up to 24″, but it will hold up to 25 pounds. With that in mind, we’re using it with a pair of 23″ monitors and the workstation is wide and stable enough to support them without an issue.
Raising the workstation is pretty easy. The spring system is set to a tension that helps you raise it without much effort, even when it’s nearing its weight capacity. Lowering the unit takes a bit more muscle on the front side. Once you have it moving, it glides very easily down. It’s the combination of spring tension and multiple bearing systems that makes the movement action incredibly smooth.
Price and Value
The Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation retails for $249.99 – quite a bit lower than even the other models that sit on your existing desk. For someone who wants to test the waters of sit-stand desks without jumping in with both feet, it’s a really good way to go.
The Bottom Line
The Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation is a trade-off between a full-size sit-stand desk and price points that can be out of reach for some folks. Even though you don’t have quite as much space, it serves its primary role of getting you out of your seat while keeping you productive with your keyboard, mouse, and monitor(s) at hand. For someone who’s not fully committed to the sit-stand lifestyle, it’s a great way to test the waters.
Check out more on Ergotron’s website.
Ergotron WorkFit Review
Choosing a Sit-Stand Desk