Hidden deck fastening systems are all but a must for professional builders these days. Not everyone demands them, but discerning customers prefer the clean look. As a deck builder, offering a hidden fastening system immediately gives the impression that you are a more skilled professional than those that don’t. Senco has joined the hidden fastener group with the new Senco Mantis Deck Clip System.
How Senco Mantis Deck Clips Differ from Others
Unlike systems that simply hide the fasteners, the Senco Mantis Deck Clip System also lifts deck boards slightly off the joists. According to Senco, this allows proper airflow so that boards and joists can dry. This should help eliminate some of the issues with mold and mildew as well as extending the life of the deck. The Senco Mantis system also reduces lateral movement. According to an independent laboratory test referenced by Senco, the system can reduce lateral movement by up to 43%.
Editor’s Note: Check out our Tiger Claw Hidden Deck Fastener System review of a very similar product.
The installation process is fairly straightforward and should be easy once you install the first few clips. Start with starter clips (original, right?) that are screwed down to the joist. Slip the deck board’s groove into place on the clip and then lay down a line of Mantis clips. Screw them down, grab the next deck board, and repeat.
Setting a Consistent Gap
Properly used, the Senco Mantis Deck Clip System leaves a 3/16″ gap consistently between boards. The deck and starter clips are designed to fit the three most common groove heights in manufactured deck boards while the finish clips are universal. The Mantis clips are made from high strength steel designed for durability and corrosion resistance. Senco backs the Mantis system with a 30-year warranty against loose deck boards. Senco’s hidden deck fastener system will work with ACQ and other treated lumber in addition to slotted decking made from PVC or composite materials.
Deck Clip System Applications
- Composite installation
- PVC grooved deck boards
Senco Mantis Deck Clip System Key Features
- No visible fasteners
- For use with ACQ and other treated lumber
- Reduced potential for mildew and rot
- Uniform installation and appearance
- Precise clip and board groove engagement
Senco Mantis Deck Clip System Specifications
- Deck clips groove heights: 385 Deck Clips fits 0.380″, 396 Deck Clips fits 0.406″, TRX Deck Clips fits 0. 396″
- Starter clips groove heights: 385 Deck Clips fits 0.380″, 396 Deck Clips fits 0.406″, TRX Deck Clips fits 0. 396″
- Finish clips: universal fit
- Box: covers 50 sq ft, includes 50 deck clips, 5 starter clips, 5 finish clips, and 100 screws
- Bucket: covers 250 sq ft, includes 450 deck clips, 500 screws
- Starter Clamshell: includes 25 starter clips and 25 screws
- In Finish Clamshell: includes 25 finish clips and 25 screws
- Warranty: 30-year limited