GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set – 41 Piece (81602)
It seems like manufacturers always look for new ways to put specialty fasteners in the most inconvenient locations. That’s all well and good when things are brand-new, but when it’s time for maintenance, these fasteners will inspire language we try not to use in front of our children. Fortunately, the GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set is a pretty decent solution.
The GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set (found under model GearWrench 81602) features 41 pieces to fit Torx, hex, triple square, Phillips, and slotted fastener heads. Coming from GearWrench, these are targeted to mechanics. However, Pros working around any machinery will likely find a use for them.
These new bits are designed to work in a ratcheting wrench – like the GearWrench 120XP series. They use a ball detent to secure in the wrench so they don’t go anywhere. While they’re designed for use in ratcheting wrenches, they will also work 6- and 12-point wrenches. If you’re in a pinch, they will even work in a socket.
The major benefit of the GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set is that it gives an overall profile of less than an inch. This is great for working in those tight spaces. However, it’s a benefit you’ll lose if you plan on using them with a socket set instead of a wrench.
There is a slight quirkiness to the system in that it requires the use of three separate wrenches to run all of the bits. You’ll need an 8 mm, 12 mm, and 15 mm wrench to make everything work. There’s space in the case to store those size wrenches, but who wants to break up a set?
For most Pros, this is probably going to be an accessory set that is stored near their go-to wrench set so everything needed is in one place. At first glance, the only thing missing is security bits. Perhaps we’ll see that option down the road.
The GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set certainly looks like a good solution for tight spaces when specialty fasteners are used, but I’ve only had a limited amount of time to work with them. Tim Johnson over at Shop Tool Reviews has had a lot more time with them, so head over there to get a more detailed look from his perspective.
GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set – 41 Piece Key Features
- Works with both 6 and 12 point wrenches or ratcheting wrenches 8mm, 12mm, 15mm
- Can be inserted into a socket, allowing them to be used with a ratchet like a regular bit socket
- Narrower profile when used in a ratcheting wrench than standard ratchets
- Zinc phosphate coating for corrosion resistance
- Ball detent securely holds the insert bit in the wrench
- Size markings on base of the insert bits for easy identification
- Exceeds ASME strength requirements for durability
Acme Tools is an Authorized GearWrench Retailer!
GearWrench Ratcheting Wrench Insert Bit Set – 41 Piece Specifications
- Model: GearWrench 81602
- Set Size Range Min: T-10, 3mm Hex, 1/8 Hex, 4mm Triple Square, #1 Phillips, 1/8 Slotted
- Set Size Range Max: T55, 10mm Hex, 3/8 Hex, 12mm Triple Square, #4 Phillips, 5/16 Slotted
- Contents: 11 Torx Bits, 8 Metric Hex Bits, 8 SAE Hex Bits, 6 Triple Square Bits, 4 Phillips Bits, 4 Slotted Bits
- Set Included Storage: Blow Mold Case
- Online Pricing: $65 – $100