Bosch Impact Tough 40-Piece Drill Bit Set
It never fails – I’m walking down the tool aisle of a store and have to stop and stare at the accessories. After all, who knows when something new might show up? While I always need #2 Phillips bits and a couple sizes of Torx, I typically pick up sets that cover some of the other oddball stuff I run into. With Father’s Day right around the corner, this seems as good a time as any to consider the Bosch Impact Tough 40-Piece Drill Bit Set.
Bosch covers the majority of needs for Pros with a combination of Phillips, square, combination, and Torx bits along with a nut driver/bit holder and selection of 8 drill bits. Here’s a little more detail about the contents:
- Phillip’s Head: (2) P1, (4) P2, (1) P2 (reduced), (1) P3
- Combination: (2) Combo Bit (P2R2)
- Square: (1) R1, (4) R2, (1) R3
- Torx: (1) T5, (2) T20, (3) T25, (1) T30, (1) T40
- 2″ Power Bits: (2) P2, (1) P3, (1) R2, (1) R3, (1) T25, (1) T30
- Black Oxide Drill Bits: (2) 1/16″, (2) 3/32″, (1) 1/8″, (1) 5/32″, (1) 3/16″, (1) 1/4″
- Bit Holder: (1) Standard 1/4″ Bit Holder
One of the things I really like with this set is that Bosch makes each of the red trays inside removable. It’s a small touch that makes accessing the bits easier or lets you carry just what you need instead of the entire case if space is an issue.
The black oxide coating on the drills bits gives them some extra lasting ability for general purpose drilling without driving up the cost. With the two smaller sizes (1/16″ and 3/32″), Bosch gives you a spare since they’re the most likely to break on you.
I also like the included 2″ power bits. These are more convenient to use in an impact driver than 1″ bits that need a bit holder. They’re more expensive since they take more material to produce and have a longer Torsion Zone, so the luxury is a nice inclusion.
Pro Tip: While you can use impact-rated bits in both an impact driver or drill/driver, it’s not usual for a standard bit to outperform them in wood fastening applications. Impact bits do their best work in metal fastening where absorbing the shock is much more critical.
Price and Value
Priced right at $25, there aren’t any surprises. The set is a little less than the gold standard and a little more than the value brands. Realistically, it’s a good price from a brand that knows accessories. The set makes a great gift and is priced at a point that you can pick up one for yourself, too.
One other quick note about buying bit sets. Most Pros have their go-to bits. The value of a set like the Bosch Impact Tough 40-Piece Drill Bit Set isn’t that you’re getting something you don’t already have, it’s that you can put an extra general purpose set of bits in your tool bag, toolbox, trailer, or truck so you know there are always accessories available in case something happens to the others.
Bosch Impact Tough 40-Piece Drill Bit Set Key Features
- Impact Tough bit design – both driver and drill bits are impact rated and provide longer bit life than standard impact bits
- Driver bit Xtended Torsion Zone – helps to absorb high-torque of new impact drivers
- Black oxide coating on drill bits – provides lower fiction, along with less heat for long life
- Tilt-in/tilt-out case mechanism – allows easier access to bits
- Customized storage configuration – provides efficiency so the right bit is always at hand
- Precision-engineered driver bit tips – deliver a tighter fit and less cam-out
- Heat-treated bit manufacturing – provides stronger bit
- High-visibility bit markings – makes finding the correct bit for the job easier
- Durable case – features a secure case latch and rubber bumpers
Bosch Impact Tough 40-Piece Drill Bit Set Specifications
- Model: Bosch DDMS40
- Application: Screwdriving and drilling accessories
- Case Type: Hard plastic
- Hardness: Impact Tough
- Pieces: 40
- Weight: 1.29 lbs.
- Price: $20.72
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $20.94