If you’re involved in those smaller concrete drilling jobs, the Makita 11/16″ AVT Rotary Hammer is among the most comprehensive light concrete drilling tools. It’s small, light, cordless, and OSHA Table 1 compliant.
Makita 11/16″ AVT Rotary Hammer Feature Set
Table 1 Compliant
The Makita XRH12TW rotary hammer includes a dust extractor with HEPA filtration. That’ll keep the OSHA man off your back.
You don’t need a separate power source for the extractor and it won’t drain your battery. It uses the motor fan to create suction and pull dust in.
If you’d rather stick with a hose and dust extractor, it’s also available without it as a bare tool (model XRH12Z).
This is one of the first tools Makita is putting out as AWS ready. If you want to go cordless and still have tool-activated dust extraction, you can buy the chip. If you want to stick with the corded vac you already have, you’re not paying for a feature you won’t use.
There’s a torque limiting clutch in the rotary hammer. If your bit binds up, the clutch kicks in when it hits high enough torque so you don’t damage the gears.
- AVT – Anti-Vibration Technology
- Brushless motor
- 3 modes – rotation, hammering with rotation, and hammering only
- Electric brake
- Constant speed control
- LED light
- Rapid Optimum Charger included in kit
The Makita 11/16″ AVT Rotary Hammer weighs in at a mere 7.5 lbs with the battery attached. It’s a nice balance of power, weight, and compactness for light concrete drilling.
As a light concrete drilling rotary hammer, the Makita XRH12TW produces 1.7 Joules of impact energy at 5,000 blows per minute and up to 1350 RPM. It’s in the same class as the Sub-Compact Rotary Hammer but with a true pistol grip style, more power, and more speed.
Retailers don’t have this one in stock just yet, so there’s no price to report. However, we’re talking to the team this week at World of Concrete, so I’ll ask for a little insider information and report back.
Rotary hammers like the Makita 11/16″ AVT Rotary Hammer are extremely handy to have around for times when you just don’t need the size, weight, and vibration of the big guns.
By giving you the option of staying OSHA compliant with an onboard dust control or cordless vac activation, Makita is finding a sweet spot as cordless concrete tools continue to develop.
Makita 11/16″ AVT Rotary Hammer Specs
- Model Number: Makita XRH12TW
- Max Capacity: 11/16″
- Optimum Range: 5/32″-3/8″
- Impact Energy (Joules): 1.7 J
- Impact Energy (ft-lbs): 1.2
- Vibration (m/s²): 11
- No Load Speed (Variable Speed): 0-1,350 RPM
- Blows Per Minute (Variable Speed): 0-5,000 BPM
- HEPA Filter: Yes
- Container Hole Count Capacity: 36 holes of dimension 3/8″ x 2-3/8″
- Filter Life (Approximate Container Fillings): 200
- Battery: 18V LXT Lithium-Ion
- Overall Length: 11-7/8″
- Net Weight (With Battery): 7.5 lbs
- Bit Type: Accepts SDS-Plus
- Power Type: Cordless
- Price: $171.59 bare, $483.40 kit with dust collection