Bosch PS42 12V Brushless 1/4-inch Hex Impact Driver
Since impact drivers are one of our favorite tools, our ears perk up when we hear about a new player on the field. Bosch recently announced the compact Bosch PS42 12V Brushless 1/4-inch Hex Impact Driver. Weighing just under 2 pounds with a 2.0 Ah battery and delivering a maximum torque rating of 975 inch pounds, you’ll like it on overhead applications, tight spaces, and hard angles.
The Bosch PS42 12V brushless 1/4-inch hex impact driver fits all standard hex drive bits and has a 5.4-inch head appropriate for most wood- and metal-fastening tasks. The Bosch EC brushless motor and all-metal gearbox have no scheduled maintenance. Additionally, this tool features Bosch’s Durashield housing. Other notable features include an LED light ring to illuminate the work area, battery gauge indicator, two speed settings.
“For trade pros looking for a compact Impact driver or impact wrench that delivers power and go-anywhere convenience, the Bosch PS42 and PS82 have the answer. These are handy tools with the power to drive commercial-grade fasteners. The lightweight design won’t fatigue the user’s arm or wrist – which is important then the job requires working in tight spaces.”
– Tim Truesdale, Product Manager, Cordless, Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
The Bosch PS42 is the fraternal twin of Bosch’s PS82 12V Impact Wrench. In fact, if you take them apart, I’d imagine you’ll find the only difference is the 1/4 inch hex collet versus the 3/8 inch square drive. Like the PS82, you’ll find outstanding compactness and light weight with this model, though the handle ergonomics suffer from having to surround the battery pack.
Torque is excellent at 975 inch pounds. You can find more if you really need it, but this is going to be a screw driving beast for most users rather than something you’d use to tackle large lag screws or other socket-friendly applications.
A really nice touch for the 12V class is the addition of a two-speed motor. That’s a relative luxury at this level that we’re happy to see. The LED ring is also a welcomed upgrade over lights that are placed lower on the tool and cast the inevitable shadow.
- Most compact and lightest weight impact driver in the 12V class
- An EC brushless motor results in greater motor efficiency which allows the PS42 to complete 85% of most common applications
- The Bosch performance control system provides improved speed and torque control by allowing you to adjust between two power settings
- The PS42 comes with a rugged belt clip for quick and easy storage
- Three LED lights surround the quick change chuck for improved illumination in dark work spaces
- Model: Bosch PS42
- Power Source: Bosch 12V battery pack
- No-Load Speeds: 0-1,200/0-2,600 RPM
- Impact Rate: 0-2,700/0-3,100 BPM
- Length: 5.4″
- Weight (with battery): 1.9 lbs.
- Warranty: 1 year limited
- Price: $119 (bare), $169 (kit)
The Bosch PS42 12V Max EC Brushless Impact Driver with performance control system is available in bare and kit. The Bosch PS42-02 Kit includes a belt clip accessory, (2) bits, soft carry case, (2) 12V Max battery packs, and a charger.