Further fanning the flames of jealousy for US users, the Makita 18V Robotic Vacuum Cleaner has been introduced in European markets. With the intention to serve the commercial cleaning industry, the new vacuum cleaner is enhanced to perform efficiently with extended run time, convenience, and durability. The Makita 18V Robotic Vacuum Cleaner (model number DRC200Z) can be supplied by any of Makita’s 18V LXT battery packs.
The cordless vacuum cleaner can clean up to 500 square meters on a pair of 5 AH battery packs in either a random pattern or fixed area. A defined fixed area is simply marked out with boundary tape on the floor that limits the cleaner’s area of operation. That large area coverage is supported by its power brush, twin side brushes, and 2.5-liter dust collection bag to hold waste. The Makita 18V robotic vac is equipped with vacuum/brush and brush-only modes.
The Makita 18V robotic vac stays out of trouble with ultrasonic detectors and bumper sensors. When the vacuum is close to contact, it will automatically go to different direction. A buzzer and blinking light notifies nearby workers who come near the vacuum. An LED indicator of the vacuum will signal if filter cleaning is needed.
A cliff sensor is built in for cleaning areas with stairs. I’m not really sure why it wants to avoid guys named Cliff around the stairs, but I suppose it has a good reason. The Makita 18V Robotic Vacuum Cleaner offers a wireless remote controller giving the operator the ability to set a timer to start and stop the vacuum cleaning operation.
There will clearly be comparisons to Roomba vacuums, but there are some significant differences. Makita’s model holds a lot more debris. It’s also taller, so it might not be able to get into as many places. That might come into play when you’re comparing to how you would clean up with a broom or vacuum attachments on your dust extractor.
Whatever the limitations might be, we haven’t heard of any plans to bring it over here yet. Of course, that only makes us want to get our hands on it even more. C’est la vie. To learn more about Makita DRC200Z (and glare at your screen in envy), check out the European product page. Then send Makita an email and tell them how much you’d like to see it in the US.
Makita 18V Robotic Vacuum Cleaner (DRC200Z) Key Features
- Two automatic running modes (random & pattern)
- Buzzer and blinking light to make nearby workers aware of presence
- Define a cleaning area with boundary tape
- Ultrasonic sensor and bumper sensor for obstacle detection
- Vacuum plus brush mode for small and large debris and power brush only mode for large debris
- Cliff sensor
- Wireless remote control
- Carry handle for easy transport
- Power brush
- 2x Side brushes
- Battery fuel gauge
- Brushless motor
- LED warning light for filter maintenance
- Powered by two 18V Li-ion batteries in parallel
- On-timer, enables automatic starting at 1, 3 or 5 hours
- Running Speed: 0.3 m/sec
- Max Cleaning Area: (5.0Ah x2) 500 m²
- Battery Type: Lithium-ion
- Voltage: 18 V
- Dust Bag Capacity: 2.5 litres
- Settings: Random / Pattern
- Net weight: 7.8 kg (17.2 pounds)
- Standard equipment includes: wireless remote controller, (2) AAA batteries, side brush, and boundary tape (15m roll)
- Warranty: 3-Year
The Robotic Vacuum is only available in Europe, but check out other Makita products from Acme Tools!