Gearwrench 232-Piece Mechanics Tool Set Comprehensively Tackles Sub 1-Inch Jobs
Many brands make comprehensive mechanics tool sets and they’re a great way to get started. One of their shortcomings is they often contain the most basic versions of each tool. The Gearwrench 232-piece mechanics tool set gives you the value of a large set with some nice upgrades.
- 90-tooth low-profile ratchets with 4° swing-arc
- Ratcheting combination wrenches
- Inlcudes Torx, E-Torx, and hex drivers
- Mix of deep and standard, 6-point and 12-point sockets
- Secure, organized, and labeled tool box
- Plastic latches on lid feel a little flimsy
Using the Gearwrench 232-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
There are two fantastic upgrades Gearwrench puts into this set over basic ones. First, the ratchets are 90-tooth designs. Their 4° arc swing is noticeably smaller than standard 72-tooth ratchets. These ratchets also have a nice contour that makes the handles more comfortable to use.
The other big upgrade is a set of ratcheting combination ratchets. They’re so much more convenient and faster than standard combination wrenches. Unlike the ratchets, the wrenches are 72-tooth.
Sockets and Accessories
The set contains a standard assortment of sockets and drivers but there are a few that elevate it beyond a basic kit. Inside you’ll find both metric and SAE standard and deep sockets in 1/4-inch as well as 3/8-inch drive. Some of the metric sockets come in both 6- and 12-point designs. It also includes a variety of Torx, E-Torx (external Torx), and Allen drivers so almost no job is out of reach.
Pro Tip: Gearwrench has knurled sections on the metric sockets and smooth on SAE to help distinguish between the two.
Compared to other mechanics tool sets that might include three ratchet sizes, note this one has just the smaller two. It’s intentionally designed to comprehensively tackle smaller fasteners. The largest sockets are 7/8-in and 22 mm, and the ratcheting wrenches top out at 3/4-inch and 19 mm.
Most likely, you’re going to need larger sockets and wrenches at some point, so keep that in mind as you’re considering this set among others that Gearwrench offers.
Some of the honorable mentions in this set include a 1/4-inch magnetic bit driver, a 30-piece driver bit kit, and both SAE and metric nut drivers. Gearwrench also goes the extra mile on quality to include the original Allen brand SAE and metric hex keys.
Everything stores in a blow-molded tool box. Under the lid, the ratcheting combination wrenches store securely.
Three removable, labeled organization trays hold the rest of the tools. While they have 1, 2, and 3 labels on the outside, you can put them in whatever order you like.
Two side doors close in to secure the drawers. At first glance, they don’t seem like they are secure enough due to their sizes, but they actually hold very well.
You can carry the box using the top handle or two integrated side handles. Overall, the box does its job well. The only long-term concern we have is that the front latches are a little flimsier than we’d prefer.
- 1/4-inch 90-tooth ratchet
- 4 E-Torx drivers: E5 – E8
- 6 Torx drivers: T10 – T30
- 10 metric 6-point sockets: 4 – 13 mm
- 11 metric deep 6-point sockets: 4 – 14 mm
- 11 SAE 6-point sockets: 5/32 – 9/16 in
- 10 SAE 6-point deep sockets: 3/16 – 9/16 in
- 3-in extension
- 3/8-inch 90-tooth ratchet
- 4 E-Torx drivers: E10 – E16
- 5 Torx drivers: T40 – T55 (includes T47)
- 10 metric hex drivers: 2 – 10 mm (includes 2.5 mm)
- 6 SAE hex drivers: 5/32 – 3/8 in
- 17 metric 6-point sockets: 6 – 22 mm
- 12 metric 12-point sockets: 8 – 19 mm
- 11 metric deep 6-point sockets: 9 – 19 mm
- 10 SAE 6-point sockets: 1/4 – 7/8 in
- 8 SAE deep 6-point sockets: 3/8 – 3/4 in
- 5/8 in spark plug socket
- 3 and 6-in extensions
- 1/4-inch driver
- 30-piece driver bit set: slotted, Philiips, hex, and Torx
- 6 metric nut drivers: 5 – 11 mm
- 6 SAE nut drivers: 3/16 – 1/2 in
- 14 72-tooth metric ratcheting combination wrenches: 6 – 19 mm
- 10 72-tooth SAE ratcheting combination wrenches: 1/4 – 3/4 in
- 9 metric Allen keys: 1.5 – 10 mm
- 13 SAE Allen keys: 0.05 – 3/8 in
Gearwrench 232-Piece Mechanics Tool Set Price
This Gearwrench 232-piece mechanics set retails for $294 and it’s covered by a limited lifetime warranty. Considering the upgrades you get compared to other sets, it’s an excellent value.
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for hand tools that go beyond the basics without spending your entire paycheck on them, the Gearwrench 232-piece mechanics tool set is a really nice option. Upgrades on the tool designs and the accessory types it includes give it a big leg up over less expensive sets. Just be sure to consider whether the upper size limits are enough to cover your needs.
If you need additional sockets or want to explore the full Gearwrench lineup, click here.
Gearwrench 232-Piece Mechanics Tool Set Specifications
- Model: Gearwrench 80944
- 232 pieces
- Drivers: 1/4 in. and 3/8 in.
- SAE and Metric
- Size ranges: 1/4 in.-7/8 in.(SAE), 4mm-22mm(metric), 1/4 in.-3/4 in. (SAE wrenches), 6mm-19mm (metric wrenches)
- Warranty: Limited lifetime
- Price: $294.00